Out for a Spell

Discussion in 'General Chatter & Off Topic' started by xcaliber, Sep 6, 2018.

1. robertyb

robertyb Member

I hope everything works out well for you Dan. I learned to listen to my Doctor when it comes to my heart.

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  2. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Thanks all.

3. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Dan, i hope they get it figured out for you soon. Will have you in my prayers.

4. Stalker

Stalker Member

Prayers sent Dan! My dad had congestive heart failure around this time last year. Glad to say he has recovered and is much better.

5. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Well on Monday I am cleared to go to cardiac rehab again. I also have a follow up with my cardiologist to see how the new meds are working, pretty good right now. I'm still easily winded, and I have some permanent heart damage, so this meeting is to discuss what's next, my ability to ever go back to work, what tests are required, and when to evaluate the chances of getting better, etc. Scary stuff really, but necessary. Anyway, the gun season here ends tomorrow, but archery runs through the season. Muzzle Loader season opens next Saturday for 15 days, then an antler less gun season opens for 10 days to finish out the year. I hope to get back out but ain't pushing things.

Oppie likes this.
  6. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

You continue to be on my prayers, Dan. Hang in there and believe.

bbahunter likes this.
  7. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

8. Stalker

Stalker Member

X3 Get well Dan!

9. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Had to be hospitalized from 12/5 until 12/12 due to the inability to breathe again. This time was rough! I had to have the catheter inserted down my neck for 3 days to measure heart / lungs while draining the liquid built up in me. No sleep for a few days, and enough pain for sure. The cardiologist enlisted another from the University of Chicago to explore more options with medicines, etc. The standard cocktail prescribed made my blood pressure drop into dangerous ranges, so several were tried while I was monitored. We have found a mixture that works OK, not great, but it won't kill me! I had the defibrillator surgically installed to keep my heart going in the event of another heart attack. Finally home on Wednesday night, and getting some sleep. I have to measure my calf daily to determine my dosages of certain medications which is fun. This must be done at the same time every day before meals. I'm staying positive through all of this, and feeling better than I have in a while. Hope to get out hunting again next fall.

10. Stalker

Stalker Member

Prayers sent Dan! I hope they got it figured out and you start making progress! Glad your feeling better now and home for Christmas

11. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I hope they get everything under control for you. I can,t imadgine how hard this must be for you an your family . we're all pulling for you to get better ,all of you are in our prayers .

12. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Wow. Sorry to hear what you've been through Dan. I hope better days are ahead. Prayers for you.

13. robertyb

robertyb Member

Prayers sent Dan. I hope all works out well for you.

jacol84 likes this.
  14. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Staying positive is the best thing you can do for yourself. Take care Dan, your in our thoughts and prayers.

jacol84 likes this.
  15. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

X2, i really hope the doctors get this under control for you Dan, get well soon!

jacol84 likes this.
  16. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Well the last stint lasted 7 glorious nights, and two surgeries. I now have a defibrillator under my left bicep on the rib cage. I asked if the traditional location of the left side chest would tolerate recoil from shooting rifles, and lucky me had a cool doctor that said this one in this location can. He told my wife that this one offers much less chance of infection, she was on board with that!:cool: Medications that they want me on will not work as my blood pressure drops dangerously low still so another one is being planned. This however requires that I pass a test which measures blood flow at elevated heart rates as well as oxygen at & carbon dioxide or monoxide at critical areas of my body. This test is to performed January 4th at the University of Chicago Medical Center. It is a one shot chance for me. I also have been retaining fluid again that would require hospital visits every 3 weeks lasting 2 days per pop if I cannot get it down by then, 9 pounds of piss & sweat. I have to work as hard as I can while keeping my heart rate under 130 beats a minute, and over 122. I have to also make sure to monitor my blood pressure with recorded readings 6 times per 24 hours. I'm going to beat this condition guys! A heart transplant is something that may be necessary down the road, but we're not going there just yet. I'm staying positive, keeping my faith in the good Lord, and keeping up a good sense of humor. I just got my driving solo privileges back, and went for a good ride today. Anyway, just wanted to keep you folks updated on my condition. I can have two drinks a week according to my cardio doctor, and he recommends a good whiskey, or bourbon. Beer is just going to make me have to work off the extra liquid, so Maker's Mark it is! :cool:

bbahunter and jacol84 like this.
  17. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Hang tough Dan.

xcaliber likes this.
  18. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

X2! Your a strong man Dan

19. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

You can beat this Dan!

20. robertyb

robertyb Member

I agree that you can beat this Dan. I wish you the best and hope you have a great Christmas this year.

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.