Pennsylvania Preliminary Three-Day Bear Harvest Results

Discussion in 'General Chatter & Off Topic' started by Oppie, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Bear season is still open in many wmu's including mine 3C but here the results of the earlier season.
    Two bears have over taken the heavy weight title which was 704lbs, 780-pound male and a 708-pound male. The three-day total was 1,833. Locally in here Bradford county 46 bears were taken.

Here's the state wide early results.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/11/pe...mxK1xU6PDjicmOcH-q5yiJ_Hrev9U30#axzz5Y9RNpVR0

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  2. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

That,s some whoppers:oops: if I was walking around in the woods up in that area ,think I would be carrying some heat .my luck I would run into one of them big boys that would not run away:eek: they may not chase or like tuff,fast mountain Billy’s , but love to run down a slow tender flat lander :eek::p

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    Oppie and xcaliber like this.
  3. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Always go with someone you can run faster than! :eek:

jacol84 and Oppie like this.
  4. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Run?? Trip somebody maybe, but no running for me :).

5. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Lol! Big brave hunter carry big heat an use it ,mabye run just alittle :rolleyes:

xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  6. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I did see a young cinnamon bear run by the house this spring, he was pretty quick on his feet! That one didn't go 200 live weight. Tomorrow is the last day for bear here and I can only hunt in the morning, deer bear & coyotes are all leagle tomorrow

xcaliber likes this.
  7. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Good Luck Bruce, I need to read more hunting success stories, I'm still on the no hunting list.:(

8. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I almost got me a bear with my chain saw years ago. a restaurant near here called the Robert Fulton inn had a bear in a big fenced in wire pen behind the restaurant that people came to see . I was logging the restaurant owners big giant poplar trees an lots were close the pen he wanted cut .i cut a big one an as it fell a big limb brushed another tree an broke off an fell in the pen . the bear was running around going nuts making sounds :eek: I almost got one :p

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  9. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Tomorrow morning I think there'll be six of us including first time hunting father & 13 yr old son, a 2nd year 11 yr old, and the 13 yr old's mother, plus a 60 yr old neighbor with one new knee and the other needs to be replaced.
    And then there's me :(, I have to attend a funeral for a good friend in the afternoon so I don't have time to deal with a deer but will give the kids a couple hours in the morning anyway.

jacol84 likes this.
  10. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Bruce, sorry about losing your friend. Good luck with your community hunt.

Oppie likes this.
  11. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

The 13 yr old tagged a nice doe and a neighbor got a nice 8 point this morning.

13yr old with mom & dad.

Will.jpg

8 point the neighbor got, guess who kicked it out to him ;), he was down over a 30 ft bank and I just couldn't get on him, trotted right out to my buddy who was only 30 yds from him. Has a broken brow tine or he'd been a nine.

Burt.jpg

bbahunter, jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  12. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Very Nice!

13. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

His first really nice buck, will try to get the weight on him later.
    I saw around 9-10 deer this morning so I was happy even though I had no intention of shooting at them, all though I would have popped that buck if he'd stopped for a second. He was only about 30 yds from me when I saw him but I was looking down over a bank through some hemlock trees....

14. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

That,s what i call a great hunt seeing others get deer an your part of it. if I hunted there I would want to go with Oppies guide service ,driving deer for me;)

jacol84, xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  15. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

You'd have to much fun because I don't get to serious about actually killing a deer myself, I rather let the kids or anybody else have a chance at them. Except that buck, if I coulda, I woulda whacked him!

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  16. robertyb

robertyb Member

Nice deer.

Oppie likes this.
  17. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Yea I,ve got my share an also like to watch an enjoy.I set in a tree stand with my youngest years ago an watched him shoot a large buck I spoted resting his gun over my leg while I set there resting my gun on my lap with my fingers in my ears:oops: :p I told it alittle different to others in front of him :rolleyes: I said I spotted this big buck an before I knew it a gun was laying over my leg pining me down an a shot fired that killed my big buck :rolleyes::p

Oppie likes this.
  18. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

These are the best days ever!! I really enjoy hunting with kids most of the time, now the kids I used to hunt with all have kids they're bringing around when we're skinning and cutting deer up.

The 8 point dressed weighed in 135 lbs, the doe went 80 lbs, about average for this area.

19. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Thanks Jeff, this one was tough for me, we'd been friends 20+ years and worked together for 10 yrs or so.
    She passed in her sleep just a couple days short of her 61st birthday in her sleep, coronary artery disease :(.

20. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

deer are alittle bigger here with mature doe around 115 an bucks around 130-150 unless you get a big boy, 200lb deer are rare for us but the boys have got a couple.the largest buck I ever got in my over 50 years of hunting dressed 162 lb.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    Oppie likes this.