Plastic everything now, even broadheads.

Discussion in 'Crossbow Bolts & Broadheads' started by Jack Pine, May 5, 2017.

1. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Got my pack of new plastic CheapShot [tightwad] broadheads today and did a little shooting with them. I didn't expect they would fly good because of their size and the fact that I never could get a 2-blade fixed head to fly good.
    These things are surprisingly sharp. Took Baby Huey [305fps] out and offhand in a pretty stiff wind, they shot low and a little left, but I was surprised that they were consistent; 3 arrows in the same hole. Just need scope adjustment and they would have grouped where I wanted them. Went back to 30 yards and the same thing but a little lower than what they were at 20. Really surprised it flew good with those short little arrows. Of course the edge was gone the first shot but it kept penetrating well anyway. You will want your arrow to put the head through the target because these have a backward slant to them and you won't get them out the way they came in. A pain to practice with! I'll have to say I'm surprised and Impressed enough that I think I'll use one when season gets here. Meanwhile, I can use them on varmints. The ferrule matches the diameter of my 2219s, so there's no step, just a smooth transition to the shaft.
    Got the wheelie out and tried it but it went haywire because the holddown wasn't tight enough. Don't know where it went, but it hit the ground in front of the target and is gone. I'll try this again on a day when it's not so windy.
    If they made these in a 3-blade model with about a 1" or so cut diameter, and sloped them forward so you could extract them from a target, I would not be afraid to use these on deer. As it is, I will at the very least tip a varmint arrow with one and leave it in the blind. Paid a little less than $12 shipped for 10; choot em, 1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG what's not to like?

2. robertyb

robertyb Member

I wonder if you could file and round out the bottom edges to make them easier to pull out of a target. It looks to me like you were shooting them into a rag bag instead of a broadhead target. Might pull a lot easier in foam.

Joe likes this.
  3. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Look good! i,ve shot lots of things on the ends of my arrows but never plastic :p

4. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Pathetic IMO, absolutely would not entertain the thought of using them on big game. Small game maybe. JMO

Joe likes this.
  5. Joe

Joe Active Member

Thanks for the review Cal but I believe I will take a pass on using these .

Joe :)

6. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

I've heard they pull hard and pull out some of the insides out of foam targets as well, Robert.

7. robertyb

robertyb Member

Yea. That is why I was wondering if the edges (barbs) could be rounded off with a file.

8. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Btw Jack, this is an indictment on the head brought to the market, not you in any way just so iam clear.
    Like Joe said, thank you for your report. ;)

9. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

No offense taken at all, I was suspicious of them as well but I thought I could have a lot of fun for $12. If nothing else, I could fling them at tree rats, coons, porcupines and other varmints. I have to say I was pretty surprised at how they performed.

bbahunter likes this.