Polaris 500 ranger

Discussion in 'General Chatter & Off Topic' started by Masboy, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I think it said ranger on the side? my friend I buy coal from has it setting in the back of there shop an said it has 300+ hr,o7 or 08 he thinks . just don,t use it an as we talked about hunting ,I told him I hunt the hills on my Yamaha wr 250 some but getting too simple to ride a lot an thinking of selling it.he said he would like to have one an has something I may be interested in an showed me this Polaris . I forgot to even ask if it,s a 4x4 ,he,s coming down to check my bike out an mabye a trade possible. cool looking buggy an I could ride without donating blood :p I think ,he said it,s a four stroke an I know nothing about them an didn,t ask much for some reason as we were talking guns,hunting :p

Oppie likes this.
  2. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Winning :):)
    My 6x6 is a Polaris 500 model 99, built in 2000, they used the same model for 3 years. They are easy to work on and a pretty simple machine to take care of. Mine has 30 some grease fittings instead of sealed bushings. Think mine just turned 850 hrs in deer season and runs like a champ. The older ones like mine use a synthetic 0-40 oil, anything heavier and they eat the cam shaft's but I think they fixed that after 2001 maybe? Polaris has all the parts diagrams on the net and parts are easy to get.
    I've had up to six deer :p in mine without any problem.

xcaliber likes this.
  3. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Just a cool looking ride an going to check it out. I could haul the grand daughter around with me ,haul deer ,haul it on my 3000lb gvw pequea tilt trailer when needed. I could get to lots of hunting spots around here cutting across some of my neighbors fields ,dirt roads. think I would put a old sprayer with orange triangle in the back an play farmer to keep the man off my back :p

Oppie likes this.
  4. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Sold to the man with the Cute granddaughter :p. I haul wood, dirt, stones, deer, bear & turkeys :p:p:p.
    Top speed on mine is around 45 with a good tail wind but shes not meant to be a road ride. Mine has a electric lift snow plow on it now and 5 cinder blocks at the tail gate to help balance it out. It slows her down going up some of these hills but we don't go to far this time of year, I plow 4 or 5 neighbors driveways when we do get snow. Shes pretty quick at moving snow around and I can get close to stuff and not hit stuff most of the time. In low range it has tons of torque and grip.

The front drive hubs are electric, should be a switch on the dash, change the hub oil every year or so and you'll never have a problem, just a couple ounces each all they take.

5. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Ranger1.jpg Here ya go, last winter ready to work :D.

Ranger2.jpg

Deer season this year with out the windshield & canvas cover.

ranger.jpg

xcaliber likes this.
  6. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

That is one mean looking machine! I don,t even know if the one I was looking at is even a 4x4 ? I did notice a nice looking hitch an ball on the rear.

Oppie and xcaliber like this.
  7. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

I've heard they are the baddest deer toting machine on the hill.

Oppie likes this.
  8. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I believe they are 4x4, not even sure if they make em in two wheel drive. Mine is belt drive to the transmission, shaft drive to front and rears.
    I toted 20 40lbs bags of wood pellets in her last week, plowed snow yesterday. I drive that more than I do my truck :p.

jacol84 likes this.
  9. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

It's a Bear to turn when shes loaded :D.

jacol84 likes this.
  10. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

We're still waiting for Pics with your granddaughter driving you around in your buggy :p

11. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

My picture days are over after losing photo bucket :confused: :pthe kids say they can,t help me as they all have phones an I just a iPod with no phone here o_O

12. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Darn it, she'd look good driving you around.
    Yesterday I plowed my driveway, plowed a path around the house for the little dog, plowed out three other neighbors driveways, BUT I lost my wife's favorite water bottle so I'm a SOB, that's the 2nd one blah blah blah :eek:. It's white and fell out in the snow, who knows after that.....

13. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Before we were married, I went out and shoveled my future wife's rental place, sidewalks, driveway, etc. from 16-18" of snow. Probably took more than 2 hours, and I was 34 and worked like a mule back then. She bounced me about not putting the broom back in the closet!:mad: Would have been a sign to someone with more intelligence, I suppose. :rolleyes: As my friend used to say, "No good deed goes unpunished.";)

Oppie likes this.
  14. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

You put a little tear in my eye :) :D. Some things are the same all over the world :).

:confused: One winter I "bumped" into the galvanized steel pole holding the outside clothes line up with the snow plow, bent it some, but I convinced her the wind bent it and it was bad out there! She bought that story for six months until she over-heard me telling a buddy about winging it with the ranger plow, and that's when the growling started :eek:, whoops, my bad. We now longer have a outside clothes line because :oops: it'll just get in the way :rolleyes:.

jacol84 likes this.
  15. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

We only had a inch so I didn,t even get the tractor out. getting to much together time with this cold :confused: 35 years old here before my bad:confused: always wondered where that sweet girl I married went :eek::p

16. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Think we got around 4" but it has a lot of ice under it an a icy crust in there also.
    Here's a couple of pics from yesterday, winter here in the northern Pa.

P1030147 (2).JPG

These two were taken out of my bedroom window of the back lawn, had fresh deer tracks along the bottom side yesterday morning. Time for some trophy rock on a stump behind the pond

P1030145 (2).JPG

P1030146 (2).JPG

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  17. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Sure is pretty! you can just keep it all up there an I will be happy.i,m ready for spring an don,t know what to do when it,s this cold.guessing maybe a big ice jam on the old susky this year .

Oppie and xcaliber like this.
  18. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Looks really tranquil there Bruce, very nice!

Oppie likes this.
  19. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Thank You! I stepped out the back door to write my name in the snow and heard a Red fox yapping right behind the pond out looking for bunnies & mice. If I could get some camera batteries to stay alive overnight I put a cam down there. These cold nights kill em quick.

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  20. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

I like writing in the snow too!:rolleyes:

bbahunter, jacol84 and Oppie like this.