Rainy day project

Discussion in 'General Chatter & Off Topic' started by Masboy, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I worked on my 1895 45-70 guide gun most of the day yesterday. I stripped it an smoothed up the parts inside an done a trigger job on it with some polishing useing 1200 grit ,fine 600g small stone ,triggers still alittle heavy with no creep after it hits the wall. I don,t want a lever gun to light of trigger so changed no springs .i always wanted a single shot so made one as I removed the tube ,forend an made my own forend.

I,m still working on the forend fit in the reciever with nothing touching the barrel. I like a free floating barrel on my guns for accuracy. Be a single shot now, I can shoot any bullet,seating depth I want.this little guns accurate an as I was sighting it in at 25yd then I shot 3 shots in 7/16 of a inch at 50yds with 405g cast performance bullets using my little Nikon African 1x4 scope on it . scopes just for testing loads.

Hope to get it done today as I have some goodies coming from midway to make better cast hand loads. I have a Redding profile crimping die,Lyman m die to replace a couple of my Rcbs dies for these cast bullets.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    Stalker, jacol84 and bbahunter like this.
  2. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Active Member

Nice job !

3. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Nice Frank. Now, that there is a short forend!

4. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I got it trimmed down now an fitted it alittle better.i like a short forend as I stick my elbow in my gut an pull the gun back firm an rest the gun in the palm of my hand . Most long forarms are just a waste of wood for me :p

5. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Very nice!