Ready to hunt

Discussion in 'Crossbow Hunting - Deer' started by Masboy, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I been shooting the grand daughters 10-1/2 inch stroker today . using 19-1/4 inch heritage 250 vertical arrows ,4 inch gateway feathers offset ,125 tips ,aluminum inserts in both ends,weight 370g ,shot out to 50 yds in a light wind an getting 2 inch groups with this short little bow .then tested Chinese rage hypodermic 100g 345 g arrows I got the same poi as the 125g field points out to 30yd .a common thing lots of times for some reason ,I have to use a 125g field points to get the same poi as as 100g broadheads.these things are flying like darts.

When I had this varizone scope on my vixen shooting 415g BEE, I always had the speed ring on 275 . now with this setup it,s on around 320.i got 2 vertical arrows in my rail quiver an it will hold 4 in there easy with a great fit. I keep my broadheads in a little pellet can an only scew broadheads on when I,m ready to use them.i keep 1 arrow on the deck an put the head on when in my stand. I sharpened these China rages on my paper wheels an they get razer sharp so good metal in the blades. they also spin like tops after alittle tinkering. don,t see how you beat them for a buck apiece.getting my license an will be doing some hunting out behind my home .
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  2. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Go get em Frank!:cool:

3. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Yeeee Haa! Smack a fat doe just for fun!

4. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

No doe permit here :confused: but I just bought a flintlock licence today :D I wouldn,t have even got a archery stamp if I new it ended nov 12 :mad: got the senior licence this year an a ripoff ,more than double the price of my licence to get the 2 stamps to go with it :mad: good old PA :mad: if it wasn,t for river hunting i enjoy ,I wouldn,t give them anything an just hunt behind my home as they do nothing for the hunters here but collect money :mad:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    Oppie likes this.
  5. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

My next licence will be a "Senior" tag :). Pa. Fish Commission want to increase the price of lifetime licence's cause to many people are getting them and not enough "Young" people are buying fishing license's and they are some how losing money on the deal??
    Just maybe Pa. should combine the Game commission & Fish commission into one agency?? And maybe call it Pa. Department of Natural Resources, aka DNR :eek:, similar to what many other states have done.
    Don't even get me started on the drivers licence & Real ID money grab.

6. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I know all about it as I have a CDL :confused:
    Sons bringing me a latter stand over tommorrow an helping me set it up behind my home, it,s a long thicket an funnel on the side of a hill ,with fields on my side an a creek on the bottom side . it joins another thicket down the ridge abit. (A killer spot )I will handgun hunt,flintlock hunt it when the rivers not good for boat hunting.i,m excited with this spot as I will be setup 5yds inside the edge of the thicket in this giant beech tree that I had picked out before not far from the field edge . I know I will see deer from this spot moving thru this thicket.

jacol84 likes this.
  7. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I had three deer in our field today, mom and two little ones. They've been around here most of the summer getting fat.
    So I spent the day doing my boat trailer wheel bearing's, then the JD tractor was jealous so I had to something to it, by then 2 of the deer went an laid down in a hedge row, third one laid down in the field. Tough life they have :p.

8. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

They seem to know where there safe an part of the family :p after watching them most of the summer it would be kind of like shooting,eating the family pet :confused::p

Oppie likes this.
  9. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Yepper, I gotta go to the neighbors and whack their deer, they have a lot of crop damage. Although I did find fresh deer tracks in the garlic bed I just planted :p.

10. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

That,s different ,property damage pet or not :rolleyes::p
    I just looked an our 5b gives out 58000 doe permits an one of the highest an they keep raising it :mad: i don,t understand why our season goes out nov 12 :mad: MD stays in till rifle comes in .now a 26$ pheasant permit o_O they raise an sell trout,pheasants .may as well run a pay to fish pond,pay to shoot pheasant pen game farm an leave the rest of us alone :mad:

Oppie likes this.
  11. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

It's a great mystery how the commission makes decisions. The late father of a good college friend said a lot of it was pressure from insurance companies. I've heard that the seasons are a compromise between what bowhunters and the UBP (which is very anti-crossbow, btw) wanted and what rifle hunters wanted. Non-archery hunters really don't like that we can hunt even part of the rut. In 5c, we can hunt until the Saturday after Thanksgiving, but I really don't have a decent spot to hunt in 5c, unless my new crossbow hunter friend invites me to hunt on his neighbor's property.

Oppie likes this.
  12. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I'm in 3C, only 38,000 permits and they are sold out. I didn't even tag a doe last year and ended up with two anyway. Mrs Judy got one of them the last day, one of my buddy's gave me cause he felt sorry for me :rolleyes:.

13. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

son came over today an we went an retrieved a latter stand from another property . took it out behind my home an set it up off the field edge about 10yds in the edge of the thicket.when we got back we used the range finder to see how far I had to walk across the fields to get to it . we got 609 yd in a strait line to the woods edge an guessing 800yd counting walking up an down the hills too get there from my back yard. I could use my daughters 4 wheeler but need the exercise .

jacol84 and Oppie like this.
  14. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Not a bad walk if you take your time.

15. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I wanted to go out this evening but but the old winds wild. seen a few fresh scrapes along the woods edge on the way back from putting up my stand today.what a storm we had last evening ,water rolling down the roads washing the gutters out. stone ,mud ,gravel all over the roads this morning .wind was blowing rain so hard last evening I thought we were getting a tornado .

16. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Got up this morning hoping the rain would hold off an the forecast be wrong. looked out an nasty so looked at the radar o_O mabye a small window this evening I,m hoping. 2 days of rain I see in the forecast for hereo_O sure hard on this prime time of the seasons hunting . got till this coming Monday ,it don,t take long if your in the right spot the right time. got my wabi call handy an hope to bring something in .

son was was hunting MD last evening an deer all over the field ,including some smaller bucks but none were chasing the doe. said he could hear all kind of grunting ,noise back in the thicket.he has corn out an they been coming out an going right to the corn . squirrels all over this corn as he seen 2 little deer at the corn an the squirrels chased them off.

17. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Good Luck Frank, if my breathing gets better I'm heading out Thursday morning to get out on the lease. Hope one of the bigguns comes in!;)
    Doctor appointment this morning, things are looking rough thus far.:(

18. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Hope things get better for you Dan. good luck on a bigun,odds are against me getting a bigun as it has not happened in my lifetime yet :p

xcaliber likes this.
  19. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

That's fine, any deer is a trophy in my book, and you take what's available too!

20. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Good luck Frank, Dan, and anyone else who gets out. Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday look like good days to hunt, with good wind if the local weather gurus know their stuff. I will be spending as much time as possible in a tree for those 3 days. Really haven't seen much rut sign this year. Only three real rubs from this year and one scrape. The last buck I saw was following a doe, until another hunter busted them up the hill.:rolleyes:

xcaliber likes this.