Redneck bow press.......

Discussion in 'Doing It Yourself - Crossbow Maintenance' started by Jack Pine, May 9, 2017.

1. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Cams on the dang wheelie crossbow are slightly out of sync, so been kicking around bowpress ideas. Back to the drawing board. I thought this would do the job, lets the string loose, but it still keeps pressure on the cables because it's looped through the cams. Gonna experiment with getting metal pieces to fit over the limb tips. Now I remember why I like recurves so much!

DSC00872.JPG

Mathew57, Oppie, bbahunter and 3 others like this.
  2. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Where is my damn "Love It" button!:p:D:cool: If it does the job, and nobody gets hurt, Winning!;)

bbahunter likes this.
  3. Stalker

Stalker Member

Hey Cal you might want to try this.It works on the Sniper

4. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Well shoot Stalker, where was this vid when I needed it LOL? Fooling around some more, I ended up like this with the piece of amsteel. Cables and string are both loose now, but I wish I had known about the easy way; woulda saved me some sweat! I'm gonna try it but looking at the way the cams are made, it might not be possible on this bow.
    Hey, one of you wheelie guys explain to a dumb recurver what cam lean is and what to do about it. I've had several wheelie bows before but got rid of them soon after getting them, and never knew anything about this stuff. I hate wheelies! DSC00873.JPG DSC00874.JPG

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    Mathew57, Oppie, bbahunter and 2 others like this.
  5. Delta-Stan

Delta-Stan Member

Hi...........

Reading Jack's posting I opened Youtube and copied that video :)

Scrolling down I found your posting, you're fast.....VERY FAST :)

Cal, did you make them strings and cables ?

be safe

Stan

Jack Pine likes this.
  6. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

No Stan, they came on the bow, but I would like to get them off and measure them so I can make a spare set.

Mathew57 likes this.
  7. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Cal, I made a set for my old Hoyt, took me forever to get them served! I don't think I would do it again the way I did those by hand.

Jack Pine likes this.
  8. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

A project for next winter when there is nothing else to do but snow removal and feeding the furnace.

xcaliber likes this.
  9. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

OK, got the redneck bow press perfected and got the cams in sync. I sure do thank Stalker for the vid but I had to have Mrs. Pine help me, and it just wasn't practical for this bow. But I now have a way to make adjustments and change strings and cables if I need to, and don't need another person to help. I looked for a commercially-made bow press but they were more than I wanted to spend and needed extra parts. This 1/8" piece of Amsteel does a fine job and its break strength is somewhere around 2400 or so pounds. It's got a tail that's a little long but I didn't want to cut it to size because I might need the length for another project.
    redneck bowpress.JPG
    Hey, you guys remember that barrel of apples I pressed into cider last fall? Well 12 gallons of it I kept back for some apple Jack and it's been done fermenting for some time now. I even added an additional 10 pounds of sugar and used a yeast that was alcohol tolerant, and she's pretty potent! I usually don't drink, but I'm coming down with a darn cold, and in the past, I have been able to kick it with drinking homemade wine or home-distilled spirits, but this time I might have waited too long. Whoooooooweeee this stuff is good!!! And of course it can't be authentic redneck without the Mason jar!
    apple jack.JPG
    Funny story, I remember back 30 - 40 years ago seeing an article in the paper about an old guy who was over 100 years old. Naturally, they asked him what the secret to his long life was, and he said it was because he used the "hat method" whenever he started to get sick. When they asked him what the hat method was, he said whenever he felt a cold or flu coming on, he would go to bed and cover up with several blankets and stick one foot out from under the covers and put a hat on it. Then he said he drank hot wine until he saw 2 hats, and that chased the cold or flu away. Smart man.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    Oppie, bbahunter, Joe and 2 others like this.
  10. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Wheel bows bringing couples together ,I like that :rolleyes::p I love apple cider but not hard cider o_O

Joe likes this.
  11. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

I'm with you Frank, I like fresh cider better, but some like Apple Jack pretty good too, and they say it will cure what ails ya. On these Mason jars, I got in trouble with a guy's wife once. He was out in the barn while I was getting ready to can some stuff and I asked him to hand me a couple of "female jars". He asked me what female jars were, and I told him they were the ones with the big mouths on em. He thought it was funny and went home and told his wife, who didn't see the humor in it. What is it with women anyway? No sense of humor.

Oppie, bbahunter, jacol84 and 2 others like this.
  12. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

LOL! I like that one :p

13. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Yep, NONE!

14. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Amazing, Cal. Fine/very affordable press, celebrated with your own Apple Jack. I salute you!:D

bbahunter and Jack Pine like this.
  15. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Well, tip o' the glass to my crossbow brethren! I don't know how long I'll be here, neither do you;, might this be something you think about in the coming days.

Oppie and Joe like this.
  16. Joe

Joe Active Member

Hay Cal.............take it easy we all have those days my friend Trust Me on that .

Joe :)

Jack Pine and Oppie like this.
  17. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

My dad made a big barrel of apple jack in our basement. Can't remember exactly how I did it, but I got some of it in a container I hid in some stuff I took back to college. First time in my life I remember getting pretty lit.;)

Jack Pine, Oppie and bbahunter like this.
  18. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

That's some fine looking cider you've got :). Cider is America's original drink of choice :D and easy to make :).
    I just went to my Dr's for a cold, first antibiotics I've taken in years but 'I'm cured, mostly.

Jack Pine and jacol84 like this.
  19. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

No sniffles today; the hat method works yet again!

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    xcaliber, jacol84 and Oppie like this.
  20. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Wheel bow
    Cam lean
    Cam timing
    Apple jack
    Together time
    Rope
    I,m afraid after I did that hat thing I may want to hang myself o_O:p

Jack Pine and xcaliber like this.