Redneck bow press.......

Discussion in 'Doing It Yourself - Crossbow Maintenance' started by Jack Pine, May 9, 2017.

1. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Hey Stalker, this method looks like it only releases the string, and not the cables, unless I'm seeing it wrong. Anyway, I tried it and didn't like the steel screwdriver contacting the aluminum cams and fiberglass limbs.

2. Stalker

Stalker Member

I have not tried it om my Sniper

It looks like he takes the cable yoke off easily.So I'm not sure what your seeing.

I'm not wild about the steel against aluminum or fiber glass either.I tried it on another bow I have a few years ago and didn't like it.It was much further along in the cocking cycle though with a lot more stress. In the video it looks pretty harmless though.

3. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Been a while since I tried it, and maybe I did it wrong; going by memory which is riskier all the time LOL.

4. Delta-Stan

Delta-Stan Member

Hi..........

What about a wooden or plastic stick that fits in the cams, or maybe an old thick cable could do the job ? That wouldn't scratch or leave marks.

I must try it on my XB52.

be safe

Stan

5. Stalker

Stalker Member

I actually used door hinge pins wrapped in electrical tape.It still left marks on my limbs.But like I said above.It was a lot further along in the cocking cycle.With a lot more stress than in the video.Totally different bow.I had one pin in each cam as well.

6. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Old fiberglass carp arrow worked on my vertical ?

7. Delta-Stan

Delta-Stan Member

Hi............

This might be off topic but the more I read about wheelies the more I love my recurves.

I bought the XB52 for one reason, I wanted to "own" it. It's a good shooter and I like it but I think I would not take it on a hunting trip.

I don't know anything about the maintainance of that wheelie and if I'm in trouble with this bow ( it will happen because Murphy is with me all the time ) I might need help.

How happy can one be having just a bit of a problem.........twisting the string to adjust the brace height.

RECURVES ROCK !

be safe

Stan

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  8. Stalker

Stalker Member

Maintenance is highly exaggerated by you recurve guys lol! Don't be intimidated by the wheels! Not much to it! Twisting a cable to adjust the timing 1 or 2 times for the life of string/cables every 500-1000 shots or so no big deal.

Delta-Stan and jacol84 like this.
  9. tpcollins

tpcollins Member

Jack - will we see you on the "Moonshiners" this season? I think Tickle might be back in jail so they'll need a new member.

Stalker and Jack Pine like this.
  10. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Not likely Tim, orange jumpsuits aren't my clothing of choice! I still do have my old pot still though that I made out of an old pressure cooker. Distilled a lot in my young and dumb days, never sold any though. Mostly distilled the wine at the bottom of the barrel that you can't get out without stirring up the settlings, and poured it back into the good wine to make it more stout. I did distill a big batch of banana wine that I made once though. The banana wine was terrible tasting but it made good moonshine; had a slight taste of the bananas and mixed well with other fruit flavors like grapefruit. A real tropical treat up here in the frozen north LOL.

11. Delta-Stan

Delta-Stan Member

Hi.........

What is going on here ??

Jack Pine is a Moonshiner ? How about that, who ever thought that :)

Cal, u're safe, just tell them that you need that stuff to numb your shoulder.

BTW, with a "moonshine-numbed" shoulder you might lose all of your arrows :)

be safe

Stan

12. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

FORMER moonshiner Stan! I don't think the government is as nuts about moonshining as they used to be. A while back I was looking on fleabay and you can buy moonshine stills there. I used to like to take sugar and burn it and put it in my homemade moonshine. Gave it a little sweet taste and gave it that "whiskey" color. You can also take some oak chips and char them and put that in your moonshine to get that oak flavor and color that you get when you store it inside a charred oak barrel. Never had an oak barrel, so some use the chips.
    These days though, I just make a batch of wine every few years or so; that's legal, distilling is not, so I quit that long ago. Tell ya one thing though, if society collapses, moonshine will be worth its weight in gold! I have a great southern exposure on one side of my barn, and have often toyed with the idea of making a solar still. I have a solar panel array out there to power pumps and stuff too, but I think it's probably best not done LOL.
    You can make wine out of about any fruit, vegetable, or berry. I might try to make some out of carrots sometime. Made some out of tomatoes once and it was better than it sounds, but still wouldn't be my first choice.

Delta-Stan and jacol84 like this.
  13. Delta-Stan

Delta-Stan Member

Hi..........

Some years ago the band was booked for a gig on a winery.

The lady took me to their storage and gave me a few bottles of their finest brandy made from their wine.

That was the best Brandy I ever tasted, even better than this Spanish one !

188-front.jpg

Cardenal Mendoza was my favourite Brandy before I tasted the Brandy from this family owned winery.

She explained some details about their wine and Brandy and then she told me about that oak-chip-trick. They didn't do it at their winery, they used oak barrels.

But she told me that the big German ASBACH Brandy company does it on their cheaper Brandy.

They use oak-saw-dust, mix it with the Brandy and filter it later. That is cheap Brandy in my books.

be safe

Stan

P.S. DON'T DRINK ASBACH :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Jack Pine likes this.
  14. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Oak saw dust! Now that IS getting cheap.

15. Stalker

Stalker Member

Well I gave it a try today after putting some heat shrink tubing on my screw driver.

I wasn't as smooth as the Field Archer but it worked great! Made a small cam lean adjustment in just a few minutes with the cables on my Sniper.

jacol84 and Jack Pine like this.