Redoing the serving on your Crossbow

Discussion in 'Doing It Yourself - Crossbow Maintenance' started by Andy, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Andy

Andy Publisher C/P Staff

Anyone reserve your crossbow string ?i bought a jig and watched a video on youtube it was real easy to do.
    Here is the link for youtube

bigrak likes this.
  2. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I do but twist my string the wrong way at times an don,t last long an separates . so I just shoot it an reserve when it starts to come apart. not very smart here at times lol!

3. 12 Ring

12 Ring Member

Wow that did look easy I believe I will be buying a jib and splitter!! Thanks Andy

4. georgiaboy

georgiaboy Member

I have this same video saved to my favorites...it's so long between serving's for that i forget & have to watch it again to refresh my memory!!! lol
    Or maybe...it might just be old age. :confused:

5. Andy

Andy Publisher C/P Staff

I made a frame out of 2x3s and bought two hooks that are threaded on one end put the string on the hooks tighten up snug and reserve very easy to do and the cost are very little once you have made the 2x3 frame it will last forever ,i will post a picture later ..

6. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Member

I did the same thing as xbow Andy and it works great . Got one made for Matrix bows and one made for the mag-tip bows . cost me 16 dollars in material to build one .

7. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

8ptbuck gets that serving on real tight too! I'll get you the results on that one string around May the way this winter is carrying on!dead:

8. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Member

Thanks Dan ! You've been VERY helpful with my string building ! You are a class act in my book ! Thanks

9. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

I love helping when the person wants to be self sufficient. Teach a man to fish, right!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

10. 12 Ring

12 Ring Member

He Andy still waiting for photos of the jig. So I guess you do this off the bow. I was trying to figure how to do it on the bow but I guess that really can't be done.

11. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Member

12 Ring , I don't know what kind of jig you want to make but I've got 2 that I've made to serve strings on , I would be happy to share the specs with you . They cost less than 20 dollars to make .

12. 12 Ring

12 Ring Member

O yea I am interested can you put a photo and the plans. I have never reserved my own bow string. Like I said I'm getting ready to retire so I would like to try making my own strings too. If you can help me out with that also I would appreciate it.

13. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Member

Sure would be glad to help ! Let me dig around and find the specs and pictures a and I'll post them for you .

14. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Member

bigrak likes this.
  15. 12 Ring

12 Ring Member

Oh man I can see I'm going to have to wait till I move to Ga. to make this all my tools are packed in storage.

16. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Member

I've got about 16 dollars in it and works great for reserving or stretching . The specs call for you to drill and tap the holes for the hooks going thru 1x1 tubeing but I just drilled and put a nut on both sides , same thing just easier and faster .

17. 12 Ring

12 Ring Member

do you make strings on this too?

18. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Member

No, for endless loop strings you have to have a string jig , You can either make one ( YouTube ) or buy one . Flemish twist strings take a little wooden jig that can can be made out of any scrap 2x4 and a few nails . I use the pictured jig to reserve on and stretch my Flemish strings .

19. bigrak

bigrak Member

Great info, Thanks for posting.

20. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Member

Just being able to reserve your center serving is a huge help for ones self , Especially if your shooting a excal .