Reworked my TT claws....

Discussion in 'Doing It Yourself - Crossbow Maintenance' started by Jack Pine, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Never heard of a TT doing this before, but one of the claws of my TT were roughing up and digging the serving. Been threatening to rework it for a long time now, and finally got to it. There is a little warning seal that says your warranty is void if it is broken, so if you have the patience, it's best to let TT do it. Having zero patience, I pulled it apart. First thing that struck me was, if you remove the sear pin, this trigger is the same as the Excalibur trigger box. The only major differences that were noticeable were the sear pin and the milled-out spots on the inside of the case halves that keep the sear pin from falling away and jamming the inside of the trigger box. Funny how a lot of the Excalibur shooters had a coronary when Derrick Middleton reworked the trigger box to add an auto-engaging safety and roller sear, but now that Trigger Tech did it, all I hear is crickets.....
    The claws looked good to the unaided eye, but under magnification, there was a lot of surface pitting, and the edges of those pits were sharp. Took the claw out and re-worked it with emery cloth until the pits in the critical areas were gone, and then spent about an hour with the Dremel to polish everything. Lots of surface pitting on this part, never saw one this pitted, but I only smoothed the areas that had contact with the string; the other areas don't matter.
    If anyone is interested, the claw spring seems much stiffer than the Excal spring. Its free-standing height is .670 and its diameter is .212. The wire diameter is .024, and the coil spacing is .075. The sear pin itself is .540 long and .098 diameter. As always, when working on triggers, watch out for flying springs and detent balls!
    1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 5.JPG

xcaliber, OldschoolBH and bbahunter like this.
  2. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Very good pictures ! so that,s the roller trigger rig I heard that TT has as I never seen anything like that.great job Cal ! very interesting but there goes your warranty :p

3. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Wowser, trigger fever must be going around, I opened up a Excal trigger box last night and your right, they are twins, except for that roll pin thingie :)
    Mine even has the little fuzzy glued on the safety lever :p.
    I was polishing my hooks with 1500-b wet or dry sandpaper, then added some Fitz polish later.

OldschoolBH likes this.
  4. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

A breakout of cabin fever, leading to trigger fever!!
    Heh heh, good excuse to buy another one.

OldschoolBH likes this.
  5. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Cal, thanks for the look inside the TT and great job on the claws. I can now see that the guy "Gemsbok" on C/T is full of it when he keeps saying Middleton copied TT for their Sniper trigger. Definitely different. Sniper Trigger (1).jpg

6. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Jeff, just more Derrick-hating. I never understood it myself; if you want to hate Derrick for something, hate him for his limbs LOL. I may have my chronology wrong, but I thought Derrick came out with the TRST trig before TT had theirs. At any rate, a lot of the Derrick bashing came about because some didn't like the fact that he VASTLY improved the old design. BTW, the original patents had expired, so reworking the trigger and patenting the improvements is COMPLETELY LEGAL, not infringement, and was greatly needed. IMO, the TRST was a quantum leap in triggers 0ver the Excal. I sure would like to see TT incorporate Derrick's auto-engage feature.

OldschoolBH likes this.
  7. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

I will have to say that the factory trigger that came with my Micro 355 is a great trigger, just a little creep, but I really like my TT and I think I'll buy another one. Sure makes my shots more accurate.
    BTW, I never took the lever out of the TT box because I didn't need to, but after looking at the pic, I'm glad I didn't, it looks like it has a roller bearing in it, which might have made reassembly a real pain. If anyone dismantles a TT, be careful, it might have a bunch of loose needle bearings to put back in [or get lost].

4.JPG

OldschoolBH and Oppie like this.
  8. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

For some reason I thought the TT claws were supposed to be already polished up.

Yea your sure right about the cabin fever, got it bad.....

9. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

My excal trigger for comparison, had it apart anyway :eek:. I know the ball is missing I just didn't put it in for pictures. It's all wrapped in tape so it doesn't get away :D

1-P1220698.JPG 1-P1220688.JPG

xcaliber likes this.
  10. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

You're right, TT claws are supposed to be polished from the factory; guess they missed mine. As I said, I never heard of a problem with TT claws before.

11. robertyb

robertyb Member

I have seen a few that slipped by on the forums. I am sure they get tumbled in a machine and some just do not get as polished as others. Same thing happens on Excals as we all know. I have been blessed with three good triggers that did not need anything done.
    Thanks for the pictures guys.

Oppie likes this.
  12. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

You guys are getting me excited with all this trigger talk an looking at the inside of all these triggers ! :p

OldschoolBH likes this.
  13. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Depending on my memory is getting riskier every day, but I could swear that TT introduced their Excalibur trigger without a roller sear, and introduced the roller sear pin a while after the original TT was on the market. I also thought for sure that the original TT was just a highly-polished sear with a short engagement and different sear angle. I'm sure they came out with the roller pin shortly after Derrick introduced the TRST, but I was wrong one other time LOL.

OldschoolBH likes this.
  14. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

LOL, the most exciting part of trigger work is trying to find the spring that flew out and got swallowed by your carpet!

Oppie likes this.
  15. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Bob had a triggertec that was eating serving also, Dave at wyverns promptly replaced it for him. Triggertecs are good, but iam sure a few slip through the cracks every so often.
    Good work Jack.

16. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Or stealing kids BB's to replace the ball the carpet swallowed up.
    I'm sure it happens but sometimes we notice things others don't pay any attention to at all and that's fine. It was rainy and foggy here all day so I took a hour and reblued my safety lever :rolleyes: .

17. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I always wondered what normal people do for intertainment this time of year ? o_O

18. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

If I meet any "normals" I'll ask em :oops: :p

OldschoolBH likes this.
  19. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I have one of the first when they started selling them, I have no idea about the roller sear cause I've never opened it up. It's got a warning sticker on it :D .
    I just gave my excal trigger a light spray of dry Moly lube, now to reassemble and not lose anything :rolleyes:.

OldschoolBH likes this.
  20. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Hey, that is quite a bit darker than mine; did you use a hot blue or cold blue?

Oppie likes this.