shoot that 6 pt or let him walk

Discussion in 'Crossbow Hunting - Deer' started by gutterjr, Nov 20, 2016.

1. gutterjr

gutterjr New Member

I just started hunting this year. I bought a crossbow and ground blind. My family has a property around 140 acres with 2 ponds and a creek that runs through the middle of it. I stuck my blind on a bend of the creek where I can see both ways. With all the game trails it looks like a deer super highway. It was my first time out and 20 mins in a small doe walks up the bank about 25 yds away. Scared the piss out of me. Didnt hear her at all. She just seamed small so I let her walk. Wasnt no 5 min later a 6 pointer comes up the same trail. He stopped broadside at 25 yds and stopped and looked right at me. I had him in my sights but let him walk too. I know the property well and have seen bigger bucks in the past while I was fishing. Just dont know if I should have dropped him

Joe, OldschoolBH and Oppie like this.
  2. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

That's really up to you. There aren't many deer where I live because people keep killing doe deer and they don't get a chance to rebound, so if a 6 point shows up in front of me, he's dead. BUT if there are as many deer in your area as it sounds like, then it would be great to have the luxury of holding out for a bigger deer. I wouldn't let the QDM horn hunters [and there is nothing at all wrong hunting for horns] influence my decision on what deer to shoot. JMO

glassman_48, Joe, Stalker and 3 others like this.
  3. gutterjr

gutterjr New Member

image:6536.jpg A view from my bind. [​IMG]

Oppie likes this.
  4. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I think you did a good thing showing control over taking a deers life. the power of life an death of a animal is in your hands an when the time is right I,m sure you will make your decision . great hunts do not have to end with a kill . Congrats on the deer you could have shot !

glassman_48, Joe, OldschoolBH and 3 others like this.
  5. CaptainEW

CaptainEW Member

X 2 with Masboy you don't have to shoot a deer to have a successful hunt!

Wait for your shot and the animal that you choose. Be sure this is a shot that you can make and put the animal down with a clean, quick kill shot. Switching the safety back on and letting an animal walk, builds self discipline ......self discipline and control are some of the required elements of becoming a great bow hunter, IMO.

6. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

It's always up to the individual. Saying you've seen bigger bucks on the property indicates to me that passing on the 6 point may pay off with a bigger deer later. On the first day of gun season here in 2014, I had a decent 6 point run up and stop about 15 yards from my brush blind. I never ended up shooting any deer that year, but I don't regret passing on him. I can never be sure, but that buck just might be the 8 point I shot earlier this year. The rack was similar, just bigger now.

glassman_48, Joe, Stalker and 2 others like this.
  7. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

I would have shot the doe to get the first tag filled, and out of the way. Good practice on the field dressing too, then you have meat in the freezer, and you can hold out for a big buck without any pressure. As said, good choice. If you shoot the little guys, there will be no big guys!

glassman_48 and OldschoolBH like this.
  8. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

That is a tough choice we hunters all make. The choice is all yours. I told my kids to take the first legal deer they had a killing shot on just to learn how and when.
    I rifle hunt with a couple of guys that are out for a legal deer period, they grumble & growl when I see deer and let them walk but I'm looking for nice horns. I've taken enough deer it doesn't bother me one bit but I'm more than happy to help them fill their tags.

OldschoolBH, glassman_48 and xcaliber like this.
  9. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

On a different but similar note, a buddy of mine sent me a pic through his scope, of a bear with the crosshairs where they would have done a number on the bear. Looked really close too. He said he saw a bigger one recently, and did not pull the trigger.

Oppie likes this.
  10. gutterjr

gutterjr New Member

The doe was small too. There is another guy who hunts the other side of the property near the power lines. He said there is plenty of big deer in there just wait for a nice one. he said he is waiting on that trophy buck. So at least he wont be taking that 6 pointer either.

Stalker and Oppie like this.
  11. Stalker

Stalker Member

You sound like your well on your way to being a good hunter.Having the patience to let 2 walk when you have never even killed one shows that! I'm not a trophy hunter unless one steps out in front of me lol!With that said. I've let a few walk that I just didn't care to take for one reason or another.To each there own as log as there legal.Good things come to those who wait!

OldschoolBH and gutterjr like this.
  12. OldschoolBH

OldschoolBH Member

Beautiful looking hunting spot!

gutterjr likes this.
  13. gutterjr

gutterjr New Member

Ive moved spots. Now im set up on a winter wheat field. I took my son out with my about a week and a half ago. Had a doe come out of the woods about 150yds out. First one in seen in a couple weeks. I called her in to what I thought was about 45yds out. Here was my chance. My son is watching intensely and my heart is pounding and I let that arrow fly. She ran to the edge of the woods and turned and looked at me. Then jumped into the woods. We waited awhile and went to the spot I shot her. Found clumps of hair but no blood. Found the arrow with some hair and no blood. Well my yardage was off. She was more like 32yds and up a slight incline hence the miss. I went out and bought a range finder for my future hunts. Should have had one from the beginning and I would now have meat in the freezer. Lesson learned

glassman_48 likes this.
  14. gutterjr

gutterjr New Member

My wife wanted to know why I just dont use a gun. I told her i thought a gun would be to easy. I said that I wanted a challenge. I want to work for it. If I had a gun I could have shot that doe at 150 but the fun part was getting that doe to come to me. At one point she even ran for about 40yds. Now thats FUN

OldschoolBH and Joe like this.
  15. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

A few of us neighbors hunted together for a week or so, same guy never sees deer, hasn't got one in four years, got two last week, keep hunting & stay out there!
    They are out in the in sunny brush fields and golden rod here where it's warm and staying close to food sources an moving a minimum, getting fatter on corn.

16. CaptainEW

CaptainEW Member

gutterjr

Many years ago I committed to be a bow hunter that I could only admire for years ----it takes time, practice, and a big commitment, unlike some bow hunters, is not just a sport, but a passion and a way of life, take bow hunting from me, have the dirt and the hole ready, I'm done, kick me bows and all in the hole.

A rangefinder is good aid, but it's only an aid, yardage estimation is a key element is successful bow hunting. That trophy buck never appears when you have time to dig out a rangefinder! Play with it a lot, estimate the distance to an object and use it to prove or disprove your yardage estimating skills. Distance estimation, just like bow hunting, or accurate shooting, is not a "born with skill", but a developed one, it all comes with practice, practic, and more practice. When you practice shooting don't stand hour after hour pumping arrows into a target at 20 yards, throw a bag target down at undetermined distances, shoot uphill, down hill, drop the target in the woods and teach yourself how to shoot in cover, to practice determining and recognizing arrow travel path openings.

I have hunted with bows from age 10 (57 years), have taken hundreds of deer, yet I practice these skills every day, by dropping my discharge bag in the woods on the way to my stand. When I exit I take a single shot at an unknown distance. That single shot tells you a lot, not only about shooting skills, POI, yardage estimation skills but sheer volumes over what shooting arrow after arrow at a target at a predetermined distance in the back yard will ever tell you. There are way too many canned, story book, want to be, bow hunters out there that think they can purchase technology in a "ready to hunt" crossbow package from Walmart (never going to happen).

I can tell you that it has taken years of practice, practice, and more practice Working on every element and every skill required to be a great bow hunter and there's a world of difference between a bow hunter and a great bow hunter.IMO a great bow hunter knows where the arrow is going every time he touches it off, he knows how to get the animal within his shooting range and skill set, he recognizes what is a shot and what is not, and he only takes HIS shot only when he knows the animal will be put down quickly and cleanly every time, if the elements arent there he has the discipline to let the animal walk. Don't let the desire to put meat in the freezer detour in your skill development, being a great bow hunter is a practiced and developed skill.

Not preaching, just suggesting.

glassman_48 likes this.
  17. glassman_48

glassman_48 Member

CaptainEW,
    Nice post, I hunted as a young man, and enjoyed bow hunting more than rifle. I had to give it up for many years, and now I hope to be able to hunt again similar to what you posted here.

OldschoolBH, Oppie and huntersdream like this.
  18. med1pilot

med1pilot Member

Much depends on whether you are hunting for the wall or the freezer. Nothing wrong with picking the deer you want. I usually hunt for the freezer, but often feel the disdain from the wall hunting crowd that sometimes make it seem like that makes me less of a hunter. I've always managed to fill the freezer in gun season. This coming year will be the first time in over 15 years that I will have the opportunity to go bow hunting again. With the pressure of not having to hunt for meat, I think I might relax and look for horns again.

OldschoolBH and glassman_48 like this.
  19. glassman_48

glassman_48 Member

med1pilot,
    I never hunted for the largest rack at all, I felt pretty good being able to get a deer close enough and in a good position to shoot it. I let a lot of deer walk by because of a poor shot. The first time I had an 8 point start coming in I realized something was wrong:( I realized I was breathing to hard:) almost panting, shaking a little, I swear that deer could hear me breathing or the ringing in my ears:) the tree I was hunting from was 20' below the top of the ridge I was hunting. I had to get 30' in the air in order to be 10' above that ridge. I do not remember moving at all, had already had quite a bit of success archery hunting, but all of a sudden he looked right at me and slowly walked away. It still didn't change my mind about just getting meat for the freezer, but it was such a thrill for me to see such a majestic creature like that in its natural state.

OldschoolBH and med1pilot like this.
  20. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

In rifle season the guys I hunt with are out to fill the freezer, one of them loves to give me grief because I'm horn hunting. It got to the point this year I just didn't tell them how many deer I was seeing so I didn't have to listen to it.
    Each hunter has their own goals and expectations, it's your money spent on equipment and permits, it's your finger on the trigger, do whatever makes You happy, not your buddy's :).

As hunter's we need to stick together and support each other :D.

glassman_48 and med1pilot like this.