Shooting flys

Discussion in 'General Chatter & Off Topic' started by Masboy, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I been wearing this pellet gun in an getting bored poking holes ,so I see flys crawling around on my target box an decided to wack some .I got pretty good blood splatter from some I wacked an now
    I,m getting serious an sighted my vortex red dot in to set the fly on top the dot . got some grape jelly on my target now an waiting for them to feast on it ,last meal for some of them :p
    DF76279F-6908-4555-AC60-DB9701A390EC_zps1wzp4rs8.jpg

2. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Ah yes, fly sniping, the sport of kings! Not fair though, you're shooting them over a grape jelly bait pile. :)

jacol84 likes this.
  3. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I wouldn,t get much pleasure shooting anything over bait an don,t do it , but made an exception for these flys as they are a distraction while I,m shooting .we growed these grapes,made the jelly so don,t feel bad as I believe in fair chase an try to shoot them as there crawling around :rolleyes::p

Jack Pine and xcaliber like this.
  4. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Them flys are nothin' but no good varmints. I wouldn't be worryin' about no fair chase.;)

5. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Member

I had a blast shooting at wood borer's this summer around the porch ! Actually hit a few with a Red Ryder BB gun ! Lol It's amazing what Guys will find to shoot at ! Lol carry on Masboy !

6. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

I need my damn "Love It" button!:D

Jack Pine likes this.
  7. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Frank, I re-injured the shoulder I had dislocated a couple of months ago, by shooting at a squirrel that was gnawing on my deck. That 12 gauge has me black, yellow, and blue from the top of my shoulder down to my elbow. Mrs. Pine said [after I explained things properly] that I needed to get a pellet rifle, so today we went to Dunham's and I bought me a new Benjamin .177 break barrel. I only shot it once, at an old license plate and it penetrated that, so it ought to be a good varminter. Weather permitting, i'll get it out and shoot it through the chrony and sight it in tomorrow. I never knew the darn things were that powerful, supposed to shoot around 1200fps; about the same speed as a .22 long rifle I think.
    Anyway, I was shooting the 12 ga. because I don't like shooting the .22 up in the air. I remember a couple of years ago that a guy hunting in Ohio, discharged his muzzle loader in the air, and killed a 16 year old Amish girl a mile away. I figure the little .177 air rifle shouldn't be too bad to shoot upwards.
    They had a Ruger air rifle there I wanted to buy but they only had the display, so I bought this Benny. I had no idea Ruger made airguns. Too long in the woods I guess, and don't get out much LOL.

8. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Sorry to hear about your setback, Cal. I have a Daisy/Gamo .177 that my dad had to do exactly what you refer to, killing marauding squirrels. It is far from a powerhouse, but tack driving accurate. A few years ago, when I first retired, I was into .22s with my son on the school's rifle team. Moved on to pellet guns for something to shoot in the basement. I got an old used Sheridan .20 cal that turned out to have a loose barrel (still shoots OK), and a Crosman nitro piston .22 cal. Both are more powerful, but less accurate than the little .177. Sure wish I could use them on all the purple grackles that crap all over the wife's pool, but in town, I can't.:(

9. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Jeff, I was feeling good, and well on my way to 100% when I got this idea to shoot that squirrel. I now think he came out of it better than me. I carefully placed that buttstock where I thought it was clear of my shoulder, but it re-damaged the muscle tissue. They say ya can't fix stupid, but maybe you can make it think twice next time!
    I had an old Crosman pumper in .22 caliber when I was a youngster, but wasn't accurate, so I had no idea about these new guns until I saw what Frank was doing with his. Anyway, I hope to reduce the tree rat population around here.

jacol84 likes this.
  10. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I hope not to much damage an you get better soon. that thing will be named the exterminator as it done got you :p I find artillery hold the best for accuracy with spring guns,you just let the forend set in the palm of your hand,lightly hold the pistol grip,stock lightly on the shoulder an don,t grip or pull anything tight an let the gun do it,s thing for consistent accuracy ,kind of like holding a newborn with a trigger . sand bags a no no as they say can damage the gun not letting it recoil,if shooting from a rest a pillow works best for me .good luck with that little hammer .

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    jacol84 likes this.
  11. Joe

Joe Active Member

12. Stalker

Stalker Member

I used arrows on my flys with no baiting lol!:D Get well Cal! We used to shoot tomato worms with just the air with our pellet guns at point blank range when we were kids.Green blood!:eek: mms_picture (800x600).jpg

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  13. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Your a killing machine for sure,a man has to keep in practice somehow as I get bored shooting targets,cardboard deer . I love to shoot garden cridders at 50yd like maters,peppers ,squash . when I was a kid I liked shooting everything with a ,bow ,slingshot ,bb gun an loved to here the sound of glass breaking but that made my rear end sore :confused::p

Stalker likes this.
  14. Stalker

Stalker Member

did you say cardboard deer lol!:D faux deer 002.JPG faux deer 004.JPG

bbahunter, jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  15. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

That,s what I,m talking about,You got him!what I like about them is I never had one duck or jump out of the way of my arrow:p

Stalker and xcaliber like this.
  16. Stalker

Stalker Member

Always easy to track too!:D

17. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

18. Stalker

Stalker Member

LMAO... Those are supposed to be ears!;) But I got her! :Ddidn't want to hit the same hole twice :eek:! faux deer 010.JPG

jacol84 likes this.
  19. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Well, as an update, I absolutely HATED that air rifle, and took it back to Dunham's yesterday. Had a crappy CP scope that I couldn't see through half the time, and I couldn't hit a dang thing with it. The trigger adjusted down to a 3 1/2 lb pull, but the creep was longer than a bad day at work. I'm really not as bad a shot as that thing made me out to be. I propped it up at 20 yards, shooting at a1" circle, and could only manage to hit it about 10-20% of the time. I'm talking 3" groups at 20 yards! I can do better than that with my crossbow! The strucs say you have to shoot it 250 times before it breaks in and gets accurate. I only managed about 150 shots and gave up on the thing.
    I was going to get another gun, but they were swamped with customers yesterday and I didn't want to wait around any longer and left. They had Crosman, Benjamin, Gamo, a couple that sounded like they had Chinese names, and they had that Ruger that I probably should have bought in the first place, but it was a display model, not in the box. So... I guess that leaves me to shoot tree rats with the trusty ol' .22, it's already accurate and easier on my bad shoulder, but it really scares me to shoot it up in the air at tree rats like that.

20. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Sorry to hear that Cal as I had a rws spring gun years ago an I had poor accuracy also an it hit the road. this weihrauch hw30 said 500rds to break in but shot great out of the box. not the speed you want I guess as around 700fps but super accurate gun with a rekford match trigger an a better trigger than our anshultz 54 sporter . a lot of gun for the money being alittle over 300$ an last a lifetime an get handed down to the grandkids I,m sure. they make much faster ones also an a good look is pyramid air arms.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017