Son is losing his job, along with 320 others.

Discussion in 'General Chatter & Off Topic' started by Oppie, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

2. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

That SUX! Sorry to hear that Bruce.

3. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

4. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Really sorry to hear that, Bruce. Hope he is able to find a better job that is more secure.

5. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Yepper, at least he has a few months notice an some job training from Ny state but being a Pa. resident he'll prob end up screwed over. The plant has been in operation around 30 yrs or more so there's lots of old timers getting the early ax. He's 25 an living in my basement so life's not to hard for him :cool: but there's a new girl friend :p that'll motivate him.

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  6. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Always does.:p:D

jacol84 likes this.
  7. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I got one of them cellar dwellers also, she's 22 an just got a job at Alcoa awhile back an a new boy friend :p when a new boyfriend comes over I always meet them outside at night with a handgun in my hand an say I didn,t recognize the truck an was wondering who it was :oops: just lets them know I look after my daughter :D:p

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    xcaliber, MI_Bowhunter and jacol84 like this.
  8. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

My hero!!

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  9. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I went through two Buy-outs, the last one I didn't transfer over to the new company because I was in surgery the day they took over, Your Outta-here!

xcaliber likes this.
  10. MI_Bowhunter

MI_Bowhunter Member

Sorry to hear. There are jobs out there, just harder to find than before. I've been searching for the last year and a half after my owning company said they were shutting us down. Luckly they keep hiting bumps that are slowing the process and I was able to find something else before the doors close.

Job searching, esp in the tech industry is a frustrating, depressing endeavor but tell him not to give up hope. All it takes is the one right door to open.

xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  11. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

He's lucky he doesn't have a wife & kids to be concerned with, he'll do fine.

xcaliber and MI_Bowhunter like this.
  12. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Indiana offers training to laid off employees in some areas, or fields. It's usually a good opportunity for free training. I would encourage him to get any robotics, or electronics training he can while he's young, those guys always find work.

jacol84 likes this.
  13. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

I need my love it button Frank, that is perfect! :eek::p:D

Oppie likes this.
  14. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Leave it to Frank to say what everybody's thinking :). I introduced my daughters latest to my handguns, being from a gun-free zone called, Ny state he was amazed.

That's pretty much what he's been doing, robotic milling & drilling (cnc) fabricating circuit boards before layering & populating. He'll do fine or his sister will straighten him out :) as only sister's can!

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  15. robertyb

robertyb Member

One of my nephews got laid off for the 3rd or 4th time in as many years when he was 35. He said to hell with this and joined the Army. Got in a month before being to old. He loves it. He is currently in S Korea and just re upped for another year there. He is not certain that he is going to be a lifer yet but says ex military has no problems getting jobs if not.

xcaliber, jacol84 and Oppie like this.
  16. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Good move. Thank him for his service for me Robert.

Oppie likes this.
  17. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

18. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

All too real Bruce. Hoping the tide turns for the young folks soon. When we were young we could quit a job today, and start a new job tomorrow. Scary times, and applying for a job these days requires some real computer skills.

8ptbuk and Oppie like this.
  19. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Yep, and the student loans of today are killers. The summer after I graduated (1974), I had enough money to either pay off my student loan, or buy a new car. That was from working piece rate in a shoe factory.:eek: Now college costs are insane, and the jobs to pay them off are tough to get. Our youngest had a chance to live (rent free) in Manhattan for 3 months this summer. From there, he found a starter job, upgraded job, and an affordable apartment, all on the internet. I can't say I'm thrilled my hunting partner is in NYC :rolleyes:, but he's living his dream at least. Best of luck to your son, Bruce. Sounds like he has some marketable skills. Hope he finds something that works out better than the last job.:)

xcaliber likes this.
  20. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

And that's why my daughter works two jobs. She has a sweet part time job waitressing at a very small Bakery that brews beer! They do beer & cupcake tasting's :p, with small plate foods also. Gluten free & sugar free of coarse, Only in Ithaca Ny :cool: can you get away with that crap :p....

My son has until March so that give him some time, he can always go back to the local meat plant and process 1500 head a day, on a slow day :eek:.

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.