Step One.

Discussion in 'Excalibur Crossbows' started by jacol84, Dec 20, 2017.

1. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Active Member

Is this the same width as a Matrix 380 ?

2. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Mike, both this one and the Patriot (Matrix limbs, Middleton riser) measure 30 3/8 " outside tip to outside tip. Pretty sure the hybrids have more power per " of power stroke due to the risers having more reflex than the Matrix risers.

Without going into detail, found out that Limbsaver Broadbands on the limbs near the riser to a very good job of killing noise and vibe on Matrix limbs.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    xcaliber likes this.
  3. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

I have Dr. Stirrup on my 355 Micro, and his string stops, the bow is very quiet surprisingly. Not quiet like a squirrel fart, but quieter than my Matrix 355.:p:D

Stalker and jacol84 like this.
  4. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Before I put the broadbands on, the Grey Ghost was louder than the Patriot, which is .75 # lighter and likely 20-25 fps faster. With the broadbands, it's a bit quieter than its big bro. Not sure about any other recurve, but I'm sold on the broadbands for Matrix limbs. I did also get the dis bars on the SS, and got them adjusted. Now that bow is in a class by itself (shot noise/vibe) compared to the others. Hope those limbs last forever, cause big D just isn't supplying them anymore.:(

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  5. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

GGG brush ret..jpg

Another baby step. I feel better and the limbs are safer now shooting it with some brain-fart insurance.;)

6. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Never a bad idea :D.

xcaliber, 8ptbuk and jacol84 like this.
  7. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Went to see the local guy yesterday. He recommended Cerakote. Price he gave me made me wonder if it was worth it, but there's so little $$ in this so far... Guess I'll sand/polish/prep it and save that part of the cost.

xcaliber, Stalker and Oppie like this.
  8. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Looking forward to the finish product.

xcaliber likes this.
  9. Stalker

Stalker Member

X2

xcaliber likes this.
  10. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Reached out to Burky from Crossbow Talk. He gave me the name of an anodizing place that would do the job for much less. I will continue to explore the options. Definitely NOT going to pay more than a new rail would cost just to get this one finished.:rolleyes: Keeping the options open for now.

xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  11. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Have you looked into home anodizing? There's some you-tube videos that explain it.
    I have thought about the Cerakote coating's a couple of times but the pricing is a deal breaker for me. The black bed liner paint I used on my last one has held up very well and has a nice texture & feel but the hard plastic string changer ends did scrape the limbs some though.

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  12. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

I'll check it out, Bruce. There's also a place in Reading I can contact. I just decided that I was not going to pay more than a brand new rail would cost to get this one finished.:rolleyes:

Oppie and xcaliber like this.
  13. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Don't blame you at all. I'm the same way about my toys.
    I know a guy that does hydro dipping, but he just did 18 months in the Fed. Pen. and is in a half-way house for a little bit but I'm pretty sure he'll be looking for customers soon :p.

14. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Thumbhole bba.jpg

Well, I SHOULD be sanding and prepping my Apex rail, but I hate sanding, so...playing around before I get down to business. Modded the 13.5" trade rail from my bba mag, frankenbow limbs with reflex plates, thumbhole stock, etc. Should be called the Crossbow Predators special. Dis-Bars from Oppie, it will have a string from 8 pt. buck when they get back, and the limbs and stock from Brian. Only new things are the Guardian and scope. 35 1/8" long and just over 7#. The plates probably have it up to 255# at 13.5, and I'd guess it's shooting between 355 and 360. Pretty quiet considering the speed. Still pretty easy to cock, but I can feel the difference the plates make. Probably doesn't stay together all that long, but fun to see how it turns out when you put different parts together. I have to say I prefer the Middleton stock to cock the crossbow, but I love the way the Excal thumbhole stock holds on target. Every one of the zillions of combos is just a little different.:)

Stalker, xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  15. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Nice rig Jeff! I used to work at a machine shop and they sent stuff out to be anodized every day. You might check a few local shops and see what they would charge you to send your part out with their stuff.

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  16. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Thanks, Cal. I will do that.

17. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

That is fine looking crossbow for sure.

jacol84 likes this.
  18. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

That is one pretty bow!

jacol84 likes this.
  19. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Thanks, Frank. It isn't Bextrix or Noxtrix (don't know if I could cock those monsters), but it's not bad. The Shadowbark stock makes the bow, no question.

20. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

cleaned Apex rail.jpg

Well, another hurdle cleared. Burky told me he uses EZ off to take anodizing off, and I did that yesterday. I think it would have worked better in a tank with more checks, but it came out OK. Just have some spots, especially in the grooves on the side where it got pitted by the oven cleaner. Got a quote from a local powdercoater that he would do the rail for $60. That's about 1/4th the price I was first quoted to Cerakote it. I think I'll do that instead of trying to anodize myself. Not 100% but it probably makes sense. Have to see what colors he has, as I doubt we get a good match with the riser color no matter which method is used. Certainly me getting a good match on my first attempt at anodizing is not real likely, not to mention the pits, even though most will be below the stock anyway. If he can't match, I might just have him finish it in black.

Stalker and bbahunter like this.