String Making

Discussion in 'Doing It Yourself - Crossbow Maintenance' started by Munch007, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Munch007

Munch007 Member

I am Gonna try my hand at Flemish string making.
    I think I saw a mention in a thread that one or two members out there that have experience in making strings.
    Any helpful tips and advice will be appreciated
    Thanx
    M.

2. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Start by watching some videos on YouTube. Get the lingo down, and get a good jig for stretching the string. Also, a good serving jig. I like the Beiter Winder X Heavy, pricey but worth it since you will not break it! After this is done, ask more questions about material choices, strand count, and techniques. We'll get you going!

Karoobow and Munch007 like this.
  3. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Here are a few good ones to start with. Start with two different colors, it makes it easier to see if you're getting off track, etc. Loop size is critical, and marrying the ends color to color is important, and then length to start second end to get the final length you want. Also, pay attention to the "Back twist" this keeps the second end from getting all snarled up. Don't give up, it will take a few tries, keep notes, take pictures with your cell phone as you go along. If I can do it, you can too!

jacol84 and Munch007 like this.
  4. Munch007

Munch007 Member

Excellent! I've been browsing the vids about techniques. I talked to a fella at a shop and he gave me the specs for an Excal string that would fit my bow.
    Strand count of 45 and a 36" length.
    I'm Thinking about a 3 bundle braid with an 11 strand count per bundle.
    Wondering what the nock would handle regarding thickness of the loop.
    I've picked up some dacron B50 by Browning
    And a cheap ass serving kit 20190224_170927.jpg
    And started to fab up the Flemish jig

5. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

You can just practice on one end till you get it looking good. this is 2 bundles of 15 strands of d97 starting at 56 inch strand length ,an start each endloop at 10 inches from the end ,to get a 36 inch string after stretched,I use about 14 twist for my endloops as I like a small loop ,an keep everything tight.i just done this one end an how it should look.
    image.png

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    Karoobow, xcaliber and Munch007 like this.
  6. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Active Member

These guys are giving you good advice, You came to the right place.

Munch007, xcaliber and bbahunter like this.
  7. Munch007

Munch007 Member

[QUOTE="Masboy, post: 66022, I like a small loop ,an keep everything tight.i just done this one end an how it should look.
    View attachment 10929 [/QUOTE]
    Very nice!
    Thanx Mb ;)

8. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

These guys are excellent resources! If you're very versed with that bow, move on to performance materials. I like Rhino, and Fury personally, but there are several choices that work great. Less strands, and a bit easier to twist with much better performance on the shot.

Oppie likes this.
  9. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

You need anything, we're here to help you brother.;)

10. Munch007

Munch007 Member

Right on, Thanx for the input!
    xcaliber, I was under the impression that the power/ weight of the draw would demand a higher strand count?
    I assume the 45 strand count buddy gave me for the Excalibur string was an endless loop style.
    I was also Thinking about the bulk of a loop that 33strands would build lol
    These are the materials I will play with. My plan is for a pair of camo bundles with a gold chaser ...
    and ofcourse when I spotted the beaver silencers on the shelf I had to snap 'em up :)
    20190224_200227.jpg

11. Munch007

Munch007 Member

My bad ... b50 by "Brownell" ... I knew it was brown something :)

12. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

You are correct in the draw weight being the dictator. I have found that the materials I prefer to use are safely requested in terms of strand counts. You should always follow the string material manufacturer recommendations in all endeavors. I have found that their studies have been very useful in starting points on all of my projects.

Munch007 likes this.
  13. Munch007

Munch007 Member

Yeah sound advice.
    I'll play around, find what the nock is Happy with. But Thinking that trying to get close to the 45 strand mark will be problematic for the splice ends. Was also examining my current string and Thinking about serving up a bolster on the loops that would sit down in the nock and a little collar for the splice side of the loop ...
    Lol yippee!, arts and crafts time ;)

14. Munch007

Munch007 Member

1st ever attempt.
    3 ten strand bundles with only the factory wax on it. I checked it against the nock and it will fit ... even at this loose twist, so I will practice a little more and then try to do a 33 strand string 20190224_233659.jpg

8ptbuk, Oppie, xcaliber and 1 other person like this.
  15. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

That serving jig, Bohning most likely will work great. You can really get a tight serve with those.

Munch007 likes this.
  16. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

This thread got me exited about making myself one,as it,s been awhile.mines on the stretcher now an measures 36 1/2 inch on the stretcher . just what I wanted for finished length.i forget lots when I don,t make one for awhile.I guess everyone,s will be alittle different because of how you do everything. all I know is I,m a lefty that likes small endloops ,an do everything backwards compared to a factory string . My strings have to be twisted clockwise to tighten :p

xcaliber, 8ptbuk and Munch007 like this.
  17. Munch007

Munch007 Member

Hey fellow Southpaw ;)

18. Munch007

Munch007 Member

Well after a little more research I came across a chart for strand count for the different kinds of string material on the Brownell page ... b50 has a "NR" rating for compounds and crossbows.
    I am Gonna assume it's because of the stretch characteristics of the dacron.
    Anyone have experience with dacron on their bows? The dude at the archery shop was saying the harsher release of energy from the the "fastflight" type of stuff can damage limbs on recurves.
    .... Oooo I love a good experiment :)
    I see a chrony comparison coming in the future

19. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Active Member

The B50 you're using now is perfect for the learning phase of Flemish strings because of the low cost. But when you get things figured out I suggest moving up to either D97, Rhino, or Force 10. I've shot and sold hundreds of strings made from materials with hardly any stretch and never had anyone report a split limb. If a limb is bad it would probably split with any type material evenutally. My 2 cents worth.

xcaliber, Munch007 and bbahunter like this.
  20. Munch007

Munch007 Member

Thanx! That's the plan I'm Thinking too.
    It will be interesting to see and feel the difference between the string that's on it now and something I'll fashion from the b50 and whatnot. Run a group of arrows from each through the meter and compare ;)