String Making

Discussion in 'Doing It Yourself - Crossbow Maintenance' started by Munch007, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Like Dan said all good,never had a string that wasn,t accurate . only thing I found is the factory strings seem to stretch much more than the custom made ones . I shot many factory strings ,had great accuracy but never seemed to stop stretching .as long as I kept the brace height the same,no problem with poi,but servings come apart quite often.

If you have a string from one of our fine string makers on here using one of there prefered materials you are set or just make a quailty one of your own,you are good to go . I would worry more about other things than the string for accuracy.only so much a string can do.

there,s other things you can do to improve your bow, like,ARROWS, string hitting your serving in the center,string down pressure on the rail ,brace height,bow tiller,trigger an a few more I forgot I,m sure.there,s a big difference in good broadhead accuracy an great broadhead accuracy. plenty to tinker with ,an don,t believe it when you hear you can,t tune a crossbow.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    Munch007 and xcaliber like this.
  2. Munch007

Munch007 Member

[QUOTE="Masboy, post: 66128, member:

there,s other things you can do to improve your bow, like,ARROWS, [/QUOTE]
    These are what I'm playing with now,
    The carbon express with fieldtips weighed in at 356 grain and the firebolts with the rage broadheads were 443grains 20190228_202156.jpg

3. Munch007

Munch007 Member

Was reading about the difference in the threads for bowstring, dineema, spectra and dacron and whatnot.
    Got me to Thinking about my fishing stuff.
    Hmmm ... my spider wire is dineema and the power pro is spectra.
    Stopped by a shop today and priced a spool of 8125x for 90$ ... yikes! 20190228_190446.jpg
    20190228_190314.jpg

4. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Wow! I would weave together cat fur before I would pay that :confused:

xcaliber likes this.
  5. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Use bow string material for bow strings, don't fuss around trying to save a buck or two. You can get half spools, or 1/4 pound I think they are from Lancaster Archery and two of those will make around 30 strings if memory serves me right. JMHO!:cool:

Munch007 likes this.
  6. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Active Member

60X sells D97 string material pretty cheap, I think a 1/8 spool is around $20 with free shipping.

Munch007 likes this.
  7. Munch007

Munch007 Member

Attempt #2 ...
    Turned out not bad, tho I lost my concentration at the crossover of the loop.
    This is what 3bundles of 11 strands of the 30# test that has a diameter of 0.30mm looks like the loop and line are about 3mil, the splice is 4+ish ...
    Lol I'm liking the symmetry of numbers
    A 33 strand 3 bundle flemish twist that is 3mil thick made from 30# test at 0.30mm thick for a bow rated for 330fps ... hmmm ;) 20190301_010942.jpg 20190301_011041.jpg 20190301_011120.jpg

xcaliber and Karoobow like this.
  8. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Looking good ,good bowstring material is much more strength per strand than 30lb test . big endloops are a no no for me:eek: I also like 452 x string material ,so each his own :p

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    xcaliber and Munch007 like this.
  9. Karoobow

Karoobow New Member

Looking good Munch! Errors and mistakes are all part of the learning curve.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

10. Munch007

Munch007 Member

Thanx Mb, ya I just measured the existing loops on the string that's on it and replicated the same size.
    Lol ... I got curious about how the spider wire would work. It took the wax well and the splice seems to be holding nicely. I think I may finish this string and test it on one of the kids recurves.

11. Munch007

Munch007 Member

Lol, I just have to get the fingers trained to work bowstring gauge instead of 2x4 gauge ;)

xcaliber and Karoobow like this.
  12. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

I do 15 back twists on Matrix, and Micro strings, I think 16 on long limb models, but it has been a while since I twisted one of those, Bruce / Oppie got the last one I made.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    Munch007, Oppie and Karoobow like this.
  13. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Looks pretty good Frank, ain't all snarled up! ;)

Munch007 likes this.
  14. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

2 or 3 out of a wall hanging full ain,t bad is it :confused: I,m still in the learning stage :pI make a pretty round endless loop string thow :p

15. kip

kip New Member

I used to make these for my stickbows years ago but my fingers and thumbs are so weak now I doubt I could do it anymore. I remember the stickiest wax I could find was the best for me, it really helped grip those strands while twisting. nowadays most of the wax you see is slippery as heck.

16. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Active Member

Youre exactly right, I use Bees wax on mine if I happen to have string material that's not got enough wax on it from the manufacturer. Building a string is much easier if it has the correct amount of wax on it.

17. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I guess I do about everything backwards an not like most. I build a better string if I seperate every strand from the start in each bundle . after I do the first end loop I seperate every strand again taking any twist out before starting my second loop.i know it,s not as easy as working with a good waxed string, but seems like I get a lot less twist in the string building it this way ,don,t seem to matter much if I put back twist or not like this ,as I get a pretty nice round string.works for me :oops::p

Munch007 likes this.
  18. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Active Member

Your way sounds fine to me Frank! I dug around and finally found a pic of a string of mine before it went on the stretcher. Not saying it's right, But it's how I do it.
    IMG-20170813-211632905.jpg

bbahunter, xcaliber and Munch007 like this.
  19. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I ,m jealous Mike :confused::p I ,ve never had one look that good before it went on the stretcher . That,s one fine looking quailty string. I just can,t seem to get all the twist out ,no matter what I do.

20. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Active Member

Thanks Frank!