String Making

Discussion in 'Doing It Yourself - Crossbow Maintenance' started by Munch007, Feb 24, 2019.

1. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Looks real nice Mike, all the strands are nice & straight, perfect!
    :cool:

jacol84 and 8ptbuk like this.
  2. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Active Member

Thanks Dan!

3. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Active Member

Frank, heres a few suggestions that might help getting all the twist out. First make sure you're back twisting the right direction . Second, add twice as many back twist as your doing now. The number of back twist needed depends on the number of twist used to make the bundle underneath the loop, It varies with every builder.

4. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Thanks Mike! I,ll give it a try

5. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Your spot on Mike as I put 24 back twist in this one ,could have uses another 4 to to make a total of 28 an been perfect. I just put a few twist in this one by hand an it will make a nice round string after I put it on my stretcher .better than my normal :pstill learning ,before my end loops would twist around as I started to stretch the string making them shorter,making the whole string longer needing more twist in it :confused:I would have to pull the end loops tight as I put twist in the string .this solved that problem ,now they stay put like they should :oops: :p
    Thanks again Mike!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    jacol84, Munch007 and xcaliber like this.
  6. Munch007

Munch007 Member

Very nice Mr. Masboy!
    What material is this?
    See if I got this correct ...
    you're using 14 twists for your loops
    Make the 1st, straighten out your bundles, back twist 28 times to counter your loop twists, then finish with your 2nd loop ?
    And I will assume that stretching a b50 string will be pointless for me ...

7. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

That,s pretty much it ,like said the stings much easier to work with when waxed good.it all depends on how you twist,do things as no to people will do things the same I,m sure. lots of practice is best an try to figure things out,an like I do listen to the pros an I,m not one :p 452 x for me but not what the pros choose .i like all materials,anything that will make a string :p

Munch007 likes this.
  8. Munch007

Munch007 Member

Thanx Mb, I like the way you think ...
    Have you tried 1/16" aircraft cable with crimped loops yet ... lol
    I imagine you would have to serve the loops to lessen the bite that steel cable would have on the tips ... ;)

9. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I do have a big spool a 125lb test shark leader braided wire

Munch007 likes this.
  10. Munch007

Munch007 Member

That should have a very pleasant "twang" to it :)

11. Karoobow

Karoobow New Member

So just curious, the string you made is for a recurve, will you take the same approach for a compound? Can all the cables/string of a compound be done in this way?

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Munch007 likes this.
  12. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Compound strings are doubled over with the end loops being served to make their size & shape, no is the answer, it's not necessary. The endless loop style strings start out with the strands parallel to one another without any twists influenced on them.

Munch007 and Karoobow like this.
  13. Karoobow

Karoobow New Member

Thanks

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

14. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Active Member

Very welcome Frank! Glad it worked!

Munch007 likes this.
  15. Munch007

Munch007 Member

Saw the mention of Kelly's Sporting goods in the Inwood area on thread about the Middleton.
    Had a chance today to slip in and chat with Wes. Nice fellow but the only thing he could do for me was to get a string spec for the full size Mag out of his notebook for me, thanx Wes ;)
    ... "exactly 36 1/4" total length, 36 strands, with 1 1/2" loops, anything different and you could damage things ... and then good luck getting parts"
    Again getting good information from this forum, love it ;)

Karoobow, xcaliber and bbahunter like this.
  16. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I never had a Middleton ,but always wanted one . If it breaks an you have to put some Excalibur parts on it you will be shunned by many :p just get off some of that old moldy money an buy the fastest thing you can find :oops::p

xcaliber and Munch007 like this.
  17. Munch007

Munch007 Member

;) ... you gotta be able to keep money for a while before it gets moldy ...
    Haven't figured out how to do that yet
    Mine only seems to stay with me only long enough to count out to the bill collectors ... lol.
    I should be good if the unfortunate happens, love taking somebody's good ideas and making them better ;)

xcaliber likes this.
  18. Munch007

Munch007 Member

Was sitting around just watching the tube and bored so I spun my first string. 3 bundles/ 36 strands
    1 1/2" loops ( more or less) :)
    and exactly 48" end to end ...
    Wait a minute, that's not 36 1/4" ...?
    20190310_232926.jpg starting with 56" at 12strands/ bundle
    20190311_000430.jpg build 3bundles for 36 strands, measure up 10"tails and start twisting
    20190311_014812.jpg ... looks like a bow string, loops are off tho ... lefty is bigger ;)
    and it's not totally free of twists in the bundles ... and it's 48" ... hmmm
    Dacron stretch ? ...or my measure of the shortest strand in the bundles as the 56" mark ...?

19. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Keep notes, start over and go with two bundles until you get it down! JMHO! Main thing is to stick with it! ;)

Munch007 likes this.
  20. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

One thing I found is you have to twist each bundle about the same amount for a nice looking string. (Do not over twist ) fine line between tight,over twist.on my endloops I hold the bundles pinching them where I start the loop ,then roll each on my knee putting some twist in them an making sure there both the same length before I start the loop.i figured out if your bundles don,t come out the same length ,your not twisting consistent .may be wrong but works for me:oops::p

Munch007 likes this.