String Making

Discussion in 'Doing It Yourself - Crossbow Maintenance' started by Munch007, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Munch007

Munch007 Member

I new I was in trouble when I started the second loop. Ima Thinking I backtwisted ... backasswards lol
    Definitely didn't pay attention to the twists in the individual bundles. I kept hearing that one dude from the video ... " twist away, fold back, I like to keep things tight " lol ... so I twisted my bundles spinning twists loosely around my finger then cranking it down tightly before folding back. With definitely inconsistent twisting. I stopped when they felt tight enough then folded them back. I've got a problem here with the math too,
    With a 56" starting point, taking 10" off each end for the loops should give me a 36ish length finished ... not the 48" I ended up with.
    You do measure your initial length form the shortest strand in your bundles ... or did I read this wrong somewhere ...
    All in all, I'm pleased, half expected it to come out like one of those knotted messes of string that lives in the kids craft drawer ... ;)

xcaliber likes this.
  2. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

You can untwist it and go again. If this makes sense, I start my second loop pinching it towards the finished end at 2” shorter than what I want the finished length to be. I trim the tag ends when my string is completed.

Munch007 likes this.
  3. Munch007

Munch007 Member

10-4 thanx, I'll be giving it another go.
    Question: when you finish your first loop, do you totally "unpack" the bundles to the individual strands to straighten out any twists then regroup to continue ...?

4. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Nope I just make sure there are no snags or humps. Sometimes you have to separate all the strands to get the bundle smoothed out. Some will come out when you stretch, but every little thing you do to ensure the best outcome is worth doing.

Jack Pine and Munch007 like this.
  5. Munch007

Munch007 Member

Good day today, popped in at
    The Outdoorsman and had a chance to talk with Steve, the owner. Told him I had a DTM330 Turns out he's a big Middleton fan and use to make the strings for Derrick. I told him I was browsing for an Exco one for my 330 and he goes to the counter and roots in the stuff hanging on the wall and pulls out a string he says he made a fella with a Middleton years ago ... 25$ he says ... we chat a bit more, I ask details he says 32 strand endless loop, Probably fast flight/ spectra stuff ...
    20$ and it's yours.
    Lol I reached in the pocket and got $19.35 ... sold! He says, better than seeing hang there another Year :)
    Then he pointed to a 330 hanging on the wall for 375$ ... you bring me 300 and there's your perfect backup ...
    Hmmm ;) 20190314_225817.jpg

6. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

I would go for that 330 backup if you could swing it.;)

7. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Looks good ,but I see the endloop loops serving separating in the loop .i had that problem with all my Excalibur endless loop strings , I had a bunch hanging on my wall with the endloop ,loop serving that came apart. I fixed that when I started making my own an solved that problem for the life of the string most times.you would be better off getting one of the great custom strings from one of our string makers on here.myself I like heavy strings ,heavy arrows for taming a bow, less vibe,twang,speed:pbut much easier on your bow​

8ptbuk and Munch007 like this.
  8. Munch007

Munch007 Member

Yes I noticed that separation as soon as he set it on the counter. It was hanging on the wall with the original string and the po tag dated 2007. But, for the pocket change I thought it was a good deal so ... ;)
    ... seriously considering dropping the 300$ for all those spare parts he's got hanging on his wall tho ...

9. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Nothing wrong with it as it will shoot good ,just most likely not last for a long time .i would love to have a Middleton bow ,no problem to throw a set of Ecal limbs on if need be.

Munch007 likes this.