String stretch

Discussion in 'Excalibur Crossbows' started by 12 Ring, Mar 20, 2014.

1. 12 Ring

12 Ring Member

Was looking at my string on my 380 today to see if I could see which way it was twisted which I see I did go the right way (got lucky). But anyway I noticed my string was touching the left rubber bumper. Now I have not shot my bow in a week and wen I put it away it still had a good 1/4 off the rubber. I have shot my bow maybe 5--60 times. My question is how long does it take the stock string to stretch I figured by now it would have stretched out. Second why is it only touching the left bomber and not both equal?

2. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Active Member

That's the reason I don't care for excal strings ! To much stretch ! Make sure both bumpers are pressed all the way back , two set screws on bottom hold them . Also make sure the rubber bumpers are pressed on all the way back .

3. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

12 Ring, All strings will stretch, and the Matrix bows bring more stress than the 225# older models by far. I don't think the factory strings are getting pre-stretched because they are made in the endless loop design, which normally does not need too much stretching. In the Flemish design, you are dealing with some string creep, but also all of the braids tighten up when put under constant tension. After a period of time, that will slow to a point where it is barely noticed, but never truly stops. I have been experimenting with both designs, and numerous materials. 8ptbuk has as well, and may even think along the same lines as me. I prefer Flemish strings on the Excalibur bows because they are stronger in the loops. You do realize a little more creep initially, and suffer a small loss in speed compared to the endless loop made for Matrix bows as they are made with performance materials VS. Dacron for the older models. I'm talking maybe 5 FPS at the most. Some claim to have a faster Flemish than the Endless on for Matrix, but I think that is at a strand count that will not provide a stable string over time on the Matrix models.
    PM your address to me, and I will send you one of my Flemish that is used slightly on my 355.

4. one eye joe

one eye joe Member

xcalibur makes a great string. I bought one from him for my Ibex and it leaves the factory string in the dust> I hope to pick up another one or two from him when I get some funding. I would heartily recommend his work.

5. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Active Member

X2 Joe !

6. bigrak

bigrak Member

I notice the JBK string turns clockwise to tighten? Should not be an issue.
    I wonder why they did that?

7. one eye joe

one eye joe Member

Dyslexic? LOL

8. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Active Member

Don't know the answer to that bigrak ! EL string or Flemish ???

9. bigrak

bigrak Member

Friday afternoon??? [​IMG]

10. bigrak

bigrak Member

I think they are endless loop????o_O

11. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Active Member

EL have serving around the end loops .

12. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

As long as string, and serving are applied in the same direction, it will work well.

13. bigrak

bigrak Member

Hard to tell the direction of the serving.

14. bigrak

bigrak Member

That's what I got .

15. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

That can be a bit tough to tell sometimes without magnification. I have a few tricks that would work to determine this also, but don't recommend them to the average user. You can pinch the serving near one end real tight and twist a little to see if it opens, or gets tighter in either direction. You should only have to go a quarter turn to see what's happening. Twist it back when done!

16. Boo

Boo New Member

You can accelerate the settling in process by one two methods. The simplest way is when you store your bow, get your stringing aid and raise the brace height by 1/4" or more and leave the aid on with no tension. This will preload your string more. Placing a white paint dot on the side of the rail makes it easier to identify or obtain the proper brace height.
    Another way that will take a couple of days is to put your string under tension on some kind of rack. give the string 4 or 5 twists and put more tension on the string than the limbs do at rest. Check the tension twice a day and tighten as needed to maintain that original tension.
    Below is a cheap and easily made rack to reserve to take the creep out.
    666_69879703C18F4087A9A4B3FF60CD6D4D_zpseb1ddf97.jpg

17. This is the one I made for re-serving and stretching strings.

Bob

StringJig001.jpg

bbahunter likes this.
  18. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Active Member

Nice jig Bob !

19. awshucks

awshucks Resting In Peace

Probably ran his server opposite of the norm............

20. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Nice setup. :)