"Terrible" dilemma!

Discussion in 'General Crossbow Discussion' started by jacol84, Dec 13, 2017.

1. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Well, time to conclude this crazy thread. I hedged my bet, first remembering that I really wanted to get some ladder stands (now in my aging years), and I might be able to get a couple for what I was eventually going to pay for the Sniper, better scope and arrows. The last thing I did before heading over there was to shoot my "preview" Excal 355-360. That thing just shoots really nice. Went over and there weren't many customers for a pre-Christmas sale time. Before I picked up a Sniper, I saw they had a Killer Instinct SWAT hanging there for $599 ($400 off).:eek: I had only seen pics of them, but have followed this design since "Oldflyer" posted his original pics on Crossbow Nation. It's a really cool, compact crossbow. Handled well too. Probably shouldn't have done that before picking up the Sniper. SWAT was just a bit heavy, and they could have made the front narrower, but that thing would be really nice for any crossbow hunting you'd ever want to do. Wasn't going to put out $600 for a bow that Cabelas was phasing out. Not sure if KI is going to keep making them or not. Moving on, I handled 3 Snipers, all adjusted differently. As I've always said, great bow for the money (especially now). Stared temptation in the eye, and walked out without one.;) For the time being, I just stick with "too many recurves." I will still need a Guardian, and have to pay for powdercoating on that blue Apex rail. That should keep me busy for a while when I'm not out freezing watching birds and squirrels in the late season.

BTW, I was in school this morning for the club my wife and I run. The wife of the trophy whitetail team that I shoot 3d with in the summer showed me a pic of the field across the street from their house on the first day of gun season. 35 deer just laying in the field including a few very nice bucks.:eek: There are a few reasons why they consistently do well every deer season.;)

2. Stalker

Stalker Member

I think Santa should bring you a Sniper Jeff! Youv'e been very good! Especially showing self control.:D

jacol84 likes this.
  3. robertyb

robertyb Member

One and the same bow. When they first came out two companies in Canada had them and one had the Dead Zone and called it an LE and the other put on a Tact Zone and called it an SE but it also cost an additional $100 for the upgraded scope.
    I ordered one of the first an LE and when it came in the box stated Matrix 350 SE and the Dead Zone was in the box.
    Since then of course they have been pretty widely available and sold as LE or SE with exactly the same packages for the most part. ;)

jacol84 and Stalker like this.
  4. robertyb

robertyb Member

Oh... I get my Cabelas flyer yesterday and it shows The Sniper for $229.99 and also says available online Dec 14-24th.

5. Stalker

Stalker Member

Mine was called the SE in the ebay add i got it from.It had the Dead zone scope as well.

6. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Thanks, Paul. Not sure about the very good thing though.;)

Ordered a Guardian for the "new" bow. Never had one before last year, now I certainly don't want to hunt without one, and they sure do prevent "brain fart" damages.;) Dating back to the '70s, I would always get a hollow feeling shortly after buying a new gun. Much preferred buying one that needed work, restocked, glass bedded, etc. Now I have a collection of stuff that works and shoots great, but isn't worth much to sell to someone else. Did the same thing with compound bows, and the last new compound I bought (Hoyt Katera) seemed no better than my frankenbows, and I sold it within a few months. Now on to crossbows!;):rolleyes: I did come close to pulling the trigger on a KI Charg'd 330 ($179 on Amazon) for a 3D bow. Didn't do that either. I know I can mix/match my recurve parts to do what that will do.:D It's a curse, I tell you.:rolleyes:

Stalker likes this.
  7. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

It's a curse Jeff, I'm just as guilty :D I was talking with a friend one evening this summer and he ask me, Why do you feel the need to improve everything :rolleyes:??

Stalker and jacol84 like this.
  8. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

At least with us, it's usually inanimate objects. With the wives, they seem to feel the need to "improve" US!:rolleyes:

Oppie, bbahunter and Stalker like this.
  9. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Lol! My wife tryed for 25 years with no luck ,but I,m ok now just like I was :rolleyes::p

Oppie, jacol84 and Stalker like this.
  10. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Wife decided it's like pushing a rope up hill :p. I just leave my wife alone, shes to good of a shot :eek: .

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    xcaliber and Stalker like this.
  11. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Usually when I give up on something it's done for, really broke or wore out. Other than that most anything is fair game for tweaking & improving, that was one thing I liked about reloading was mixing an matching components, always a new bullet to test or powder to burn :).

xcaliber, Stalker and jacol84 like this.
  12. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

I agree, Bruce. I never went nuts over reloading, but I really like it. Went through the phases of pushing the pressure and speed, came to my senses a bit, and went for more specific goals. If it wasn't for reloading, I'd never know what I had in my Husqvarna though. Then I got married, stopped working in the gun shop, and settled down (gun wise). Got into archery because that was something I could do out in our yard when the twins were taking a nap.;)

xcaliber and Stalker like this.
  13. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

As much as i like guns, and shooting them, I never got into reloading. I think mostly because I was into muzzle loading early on, and didn't shoot too much. Then as I got older, and made more money I guess, I got into more, but got lazy, or just consumed too much time coaching my girls softball teams, etc. Archery has always been my number one passion though, and I spent way too much time in that arena looking backwards. No regrets, and glad I did now. Kyle, the apprentice is so self sufficient because of us learning a lot of this stuff together that I feel good knowing he will pass it on. I'm now looking more into gunnery stuff down the pike. Never turning away from the archery, but deepening my passion for guns, and all things guns!:cool:

jacol84 likes this.
  14. Stalker

Stalker Member

I never got into guns.

Was always big into fishing

I too did the softball coaching of my daughters.Travel ball etc.When that was over.I pondered hunting with a crossbow.Then received one as a gift from my oldest daughter and husband have been hooked ever since:D

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  15. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I played with reloading in my pre-internet days when I actually had to Buy manuals an keep notes with a pen & paper :p. Not to mention the 5 mile walk to the sporting goods shop, Uphill no less :D. We were blasting varmints back then but I was still shooting arrow's even then. Seems like the fist bow's I shot were Bear recurves for some reason. Now I see the old Bear bows at every flea market going....

16. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

The Bears were still worth something on ebay the last time I was on a few years ago. Seemed to hold value much better than compound bows (or crossbows).

xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  17. YVNSKS

YVNSKS New Member

It would make a very nice back up bow

18. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Member

You're stronger than me ! Bought a Heavy Barrel Axis .223 with 4x12 for $398 then sent in my rebate for $100, Grand total $298 ! Replaced the scope with a Nikon Prostaff 4x12 and have a great varmit/Coyote gun. Just couldn't resist ! Lol

19. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Congrats, Mike. You sure can get nice rifles that will do all the hunting a person can do for the price of an inexpensive crossbow or compound bow, and they don't lose value as fast.;) Hope you kill a ton of those stinkin' yotes with your new gun!:D

xcaliber and bbahunter like this.
  20. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Should be a great setup for the Yotes!

8ptbuk and Oppie like this.