This is why I need to move

Discussion in 'General Chatter & Off Topic' started by XBowAdmin, Feb 4, 2014.

1. georgiaboy

georgiaboy Member

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
    THAT is why i live in the DEEP SOUTH!!!
    Plus deer huntin, hog huntin, turkey's, fried chicken, college football, apple pie, southern belles & country music!!! :p :D

CT.crossbower likes this.
  2. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Hang on, I'm packing my stuff! I'm heading down in the morning.:)

3. georgiaboy

georgiaboy Member

Come on down brother!!! :)
    Just leave that white stuff behind! ;)

4. CT.crossbower

CT.crossbower New Member

My first post here, I'm a Kentucky transplant to Connecticut, been here 14 yrs now, Georgia your makin me home sick. The winters here don't get easier.cabin fever set in along time ago. Just bought a new scorpyd & can't catch a break in weather to shoot. Oh how I miss those southern hotties & the daisy dukes.

5. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Yep, it sucks here in new england doesn't it? Stupid laws, stupid taxes, stupid weather, and i could go on and on. :eek::D

xcaliber and CT.crossbower like this.
  6. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Welcome to the group, I'm in NePa. and still wonder why I stay here this far north. Winters last forever, everything hurts. Enough already.
    Power outages predicted for this weekend when that cyclone hits. Sounds like a good time!

7. CT.crossbower

CT.crossbower New Member

Thanks for the welcome, yep hunkering down, looks like we have s mess coming. 40 to 60 mph winds, lots of rain . Be safe.

8. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

The only thing that bothers me are the dead ash trees in the power lines and along the roads. They'll start dropping like tooth picks in this wind.

9. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

They should pay people to cut them down. When I used to burn wood, I loved to find Ash and Locust trees that needed to be cut down. Great wood to split and burn. Power companies don't seem too interested in maintaining their lines though.

Oppie, xcaliber and bbahunter like this.
  10. CT.crossbower

CT.crossbower New Member

We have an acre cut out of about 350 acres of watershed property, great spot,lots of wildlife, But, house & lot surrounded by 60 to 80 ft. Pines, becomes a little worrisome in these winds, they are not strong trees & sway like crazy.

11. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Welcome! around here just take a ride an look around after a bad storm an you will see most of the damage done to white pines. I have spruce,cedar ,white pine in my yard an the damage is always to the white pine.

12. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

PennDot has a lot of the dead ash tree marked for cutting along the roads but that's a low priority for them. The power company had a crew come through and trim the power lines a couple yrs ago BUT, if the tree wasn't in the power line right away, they didn't touch it, make perfect sense :eek:.

I have a lot of both, but most the ash are dead now, some of the young ones may survive. All of my locust trees had brown leaves all last summer, not to sure what's going on with them. A neighbor had the forester look at his locust trees but didn't get a answer as to what's happening with them.
    Those big ole pine trees are scary when they start swaying an dropping branches.

13. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

We only got around 3-4 inches of snow but it was snowing & blowing all day, that wind srue did howl at times.. There was some spotty outages around us but I never lost power this time. Not so sure how our New England friends made out, but I didn't even have to plow any snow this time :).
    Saw two deer feedin outside the window @ 1 am last night in the moon light.

14. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

We had strong wind snow showers ,lost a few slate off my roof as they went about 30yd before landing out by my truck . I live on top a hill an I watched the top of telephone poles rocking back and fourth about a foot an the wires in front of my home moving a few feet in all directions . Never lost juice or any trees an the winds still blowing hard here.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    Oppie likes this.
  15. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Good luck you Eastern Folks! I called my BIL Frank in Delaware, he's OK, got snow, wind, and rain, but all in all they're fine.

Oppie likes this.
  16. CT.crossbower

CT.crossbower New Member

Strong winds & crazy gusts for hrs, had a dead pine fall & smash my blind in back if property, a good size limb came down in front yard, luckily no damage .rain & sleet, no accumulation .never lost power, coulda been worse. There's a car on next street over with telephone down the center of it,cops have been sitting there with lights going since 8am. May have been a fatality.

Oppie likes this.
  17. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Just saw on the local news, looks like 20,000+ people with out power in the Poconos. Trees down on power lines everywhere, PPL is recalling two crews from Puerto Rico.
    Last March when we lost power for a week a local MicroTel gave us a room for $50 for a night, The Hot shower was worth every penny.

18. Jon Erdmann

Jon Erdmann New Member

I have a foot of snow in my yard where I shoot, 16* this morning but suppose to hit 41* today.
    I'm just thankful at least it's not like East Glacier, MT where it's 78" of snow. :D Many places buried up to the roofs.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  19. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Wow, that's not pretty.
    Today's storm is hyped to the max here in NePa, the state had declared a state of emergency, blah blah blah.
    I ain't scared.

20. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Alittle snow possible an the weathermen get all sexcited :eek::pCouple inches of wet stuff on the ground,suns out an roads are wet but bare.just down checking the river out an no Ice ,water don,t look bad at all other than pretty choppy.

Oppie likes this.