Took the plunge!

Discussion in 'General Crossbow Discussion' started by Stalker, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Stalker

Stalker Member

Had a early white Christmas today:D Snow in Georgia and Santa came by in his brown truck:eek:

Yep I took the Recurve plunge! Got a new Matrix 350 SE.

It came with various other goodies in the deal.

Too much snow coming down out side so I shot a few through the chrono in the basement. I got 323 fps with a 415 gn and 317 with a 440 gn. Seems about right to me for a 350.Waiting on a stringer and a guardian now.Hopefully they will be here tomorrow.

I think I'm going to really like this bow.I was surprised how easy it was to cock it and I love the light weight for toting longer distances :D 20171208_173157.jpg 20171208_180608.jpg 20171208_175026.jpg 20171208_175723.jpg

bbahunter and jacol84 like this.
  2. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Awesome Paul! You have the #1 Excal I'd want to get out of the ones they make. Good performance, easy on the limbs and easy to cock, great looks. Congrats!:D Hope your really enjoy it.

bbahunter likes this.
  3. Stalker

Stalker Member

Thanks Jeff. I think I'm really going to like it. I love the light weight! I was also really surprised how easy it was to cock.A lot easier than my Barnett.

Waiting on a stringer and a Guardian. Its supposed to be here today if the postman can make it through all of this snow. Weather man said we might get a dusting. We got about 6 inches where I'm at and its still coming down!

4. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

Stalker likes this.
  5. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Sweet! welcome over from the dark side :p looking forward to your dot shooting,just don,t see how you can do better than what you been doing for accuracy . I,m sure you will fine out :p

Stalker likes this.
  6. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Sweet. Merry Christmas to you!

Stalker likes this.
  7. robertyb

robertyb Member

My 350 LE is my favorite Excalibur. We got between 6 and 8" of snow here in Cedartown. I hate the stuff as my 3 acre yard is now full of huge Cedar tree and Pine tree limbs that got ripped off the trees.

xcaliber likes this.
  8. Stalker

Stalker Member

Luckily my yard didn't suffer any damage. I took a big hit when Irma came through. All of my pines held up this time

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  9. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Sweet little bow!! Just Choot it :D an enjoy! Repeat as necessary :)

xcaliber, jacol84 and Stalker like this.
  10. Stalker

Stalker Member

Well I got my stringing aid and installed the guardian.Put on my Danny Miller flemish string and my speeds seem to go down by a good bit:eek:. I was expecting just the opposite from what I have read about flemish strings or does it all depend on what it is made of ? I ended up putting the stock string back on.

I got to do some shooting outside today.

The Octane dead zone scope was fine at 20 and sighted right in.At 30 I had to turn the speed ring down to just below 300 before it would hit righto_O.Took it off and put on my Hawke 1.5-5.The dial on it matched right up with what my chrono readings are:D.I'm not sure if I'm going to call Excal about the scope or not.

The pink Bee's grouped ok but I will be getting rid of the pink.I'll spine index them and refletch them.Not sure which vanes I'll use yet.

Here's my first 2 bullseye's at 20 and 30 yards :D:D 20171210_134423.jpg 20171210_160857.jpg 20171210_155041.jpg

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  11. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Very cool.
    Try one of the other forums custom string makers strings and you order just what you want most of the time an get a better string.

12. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

xcaliber (Dan), Jack Pine (Cal), 8pt. buck (Mike) all make fine flemish strings and are on this forum. Can't go wrong with any of them, or Mike Hall (Blactail on CN).

Mighty fine buck Euro mount hanging up in the outdoor storage area with your Matrix!:D

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    Oppie, xcaliber and Stalker like this.
  13. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Good shooting! you know your dialed in when you poke that little black diamond in the center of the orange dots. I love them little orange stick on dots an shoot them with everything.

14. MI_Bowhunter

MI_Bowhunter Member

Congrags, that is a nice shooting bow.

Nothing like some bow therapy over the holidays!!

xcaliber and Stalker like this.
  15. Stalker

Stalker Member

Thanks Jeff.I have read about all of those guys making great strings. For now I'll stick with the stock string as it is giving me the speed I want unless there are better?

I found that euro mount in a area I was scouting.I'm not sure what caused his death.He was fairly close to a road in urban/suburban area that doesn't get any or very little hunting.

16. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Use what string works for your setup.
    It's more about strand counts, more strands weigh more so are slightly slower but have less stretch & vibration = easier on the string & limbs. Tighter loops & knots an tighter servings.
    Those guys will make a string just for you, one at a time :).....

Stalker and xcaliber like this.
  17. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Yep, string weight is the main thing that affects speed. If you go same materials, same strand count and serving length, the endless loop string usually wins by 2-3 FPS. This is because the loops are made with half the strands of a Flemish String. I prefer the extra in the loops, and can't stand seeing the serving separation in the loops on the endless type.

Stalker likes this.
  18. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Congrats on your new bow.

Stalker likes this.
  19. Stalker

Stalker Member

Thanks guys. It just seems that I had read Flemish strings were faster. I always thought they looked heavier.I guess they could be faster or as fast depending on strand count and material.

I've reserved a few endless loop strings due to slipping servings.The servings slipping at the end of this string was the first thing I noticed.I'll be keeping close eye on them. Thanks again

20. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Member

Stalker, That is a Beautiful bow !

Stalker and xcaliber like this.