Took the plunge!

Discussion in 'General Crossbow Discussion' started by Stalker, Dec 9, 2017.

1. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Yep, the misconception about the Flemish being faster comes from the Mag Tip days of Excalibur. The stock endless loop strings were made from Dacron which is very forgiving, but slower than Fast Flight which is a performance material used at that time for their Flemish Strings. I have tried many materials looking to out run other materials and found pretty early on that the end weight was the largest contributor in speeds using performance materials. I began looking more for lower stretch at equal speeds, then began playing with strand count. I then spent a lot of time making arrows of varying weights to see what impact speed really had on arrow drop at ranges of 40 & 50 yards. I'll say that I was honestly surprised how little 10 FPS changed things. I would trade a stable, low maintenance string for 3 FPS anytime, and I think the Flemish look cool. There are a bunch of good string makers out there, and they can tell you in great detail what they use, and why they like it. I'm down to two materials for my own personal use, and really get about 1-2 FPS variation between them. One is Rhino, the other Fury. I use 28 strands of Rhino, and 46 - 48 strands of Fury because it is much thinner, and has a lower single strand strength. I always have a string or two laying around that might have a few shots on it. I would be happy to send you one to try out. I'm not interested in selling strings these days, but enjoy making them looking for an edge here or there. Good luck with the new bow, and PM me if you want one. There will always be new materials produced from BCY, and Brownell, and who knows what I'll be using when my supply runs out. 8ptbk. has played around with a few materials, and he too can offer some great input on what works well for him.

Dan

jacol84 and Stalker like this.
  2. MI_Bowhunter

MI_Bowhunter Member

Interesting. I always just took the speed talk at face value without really thinking about it.

Not even 8am yet and I've already learned something new.

xcaliber, Stalker and jacol84 like this.
  3. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Thanks for the info, Dan. As nutty as I can get with small differences in the recurves, speed is something I really haven't cared too much about. Since my chrono broke, I've had little urge to replace it. It's prebably 6 or 7 years now, but I did a trajectory comparison between 2 of my vertical compounds. Twenty fps made very little difference inside 40 yards.

xcaliber and Stalker like this.
  4. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

These guys have forgotten more about string making than I'll ever know which is el-zippo :eek:. Believe it or not, unless your buying from a custom string making, the string are machine made. Think about how many strings are being sold daily, that's a lot of twisting & serving time vs someone making a string just for you.

jacol84 and Stalker like this.
  5. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Good read Dan! Not taking anything away from these fine string makers ,but best thing is to pick up some string material an make your own. best thing I ever did was learn to make endless loop,Flemish for my own bows. what a feeling knowing you can make a quailty string for any bow ,any length ,strand count.if I can do it with my brain anyone can o_O:p

Stalker, 8ptbuk, jacol84 and 2 others like this.
  6. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Frank, I too try just about everything on my own. I'm always curious about whether I can do as well as someone else on projects. I made a set of strings for one of my Hoyt Vertical Bows, took like two weeks, and three tries on the cables, but they were great when finished. I would not make them again by hand however!:eek: I encourage folks to learn to make their own, and hopefully I'll make a YouTube video soon to help others get on their way. It is one of those things that is not for everyone, but not overly complicated. Yes, time consuming, and you have to be a bit handy to get your stretching jig going, but once you do, you're on your way. If you took the time to make a jig for serving, you really should start thinking about the next step and twist a few. I had a box full of jacked up strings when i started, and probably sent a few not so good ones out early on. I have tried many tools for serving and such, and think I have landed on some good tools, and practices mostly by trial & error. Enjoyed every minute of it honestly.:cool:

jacol84, Stalker and Oppie like this.
  7. Stalker

Stalker Member

I've made my own spine tester.Make my own arrows now.Made a serving jig and reserve my strings.Making my own strings is next on the list.:D I'd love to see that video.

xcaliber, Oppie and jacol84 like this.
  8. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Same here :)

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  9. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Active Member

Yeah Dan ! Make us a video ! I'd love to see your Jigs and your process for serving your strings. I can do it but that certainly doesn't mean it's the best way.

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  10. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Two reasons this is my favorite crossbow forum.

1. Great guys and no BS.
    2. Most of us like to tinker and make stuff for ourselves. Many other forums "feature" guys who buy and sell the latest and greatest, and don't even do the simplest mod for themselves.:rolleyes:

11. robertyb

robertyb Member

I would like to see that video also Dan.
    I am shooting the Rhino string you sent me on my Excal M330 and am having a hard time with wearing it out. I don't shoot it as much as I used to now that I have 4 CBs but it still gets it's share of range time. I really like that Rhino material as it still looks brand new. I was wondering also as to what serving you used as it still looks new also. Either Halo or AM would be my guess.
    Thanks yet again for a really nice quality string. :)

12. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Looks like Dan just got the job ! he can,t let all his forum buddy,s down :p cool when a member gets elected for a job that he didn,t even volunteer for :rolleyes::p

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    xcaliber and 8ptbuk like this.
  13. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Mike, by no means is my way the best way. LOL. I only know what I know, and I keep trying other things. I will look to do this soon after the holidays guys!

14. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Heck Yeah!:D:cool:

8ptbuk likes this.
  15. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

:p Good Job Dan :p , way to take one for the team :D

16. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

I'm all in on doing this guys.

jacol84, Oppie and 8ptbuk like this.