Venison, it's not just just for grilling!

Discussion in 'General Chatter & Off Topic' started by Oppie, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

We have Judy's grandma's pressure canner, all though we rarely use it. It's a beast and takes a lot of heat to get er working.
    Canning venison takes a little longer because you need to fill the quart jars carefully an get as much air out of the jar as you can. I know a lady that adds liquid beef bouillon in the jars, we just do garlic & salt. It's going to take a good part of the day to can a deer by time you cut it up, process it an let them cool back down an put them away.

I've used that on chuck roast and love it now I'll have to try it on deer.

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  2. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Two yrs ago I had a local shop leave the hind quarters whole an brine them and smoke them, they almost like ham.
    So I decide to take some to a neighborhood picnic. I deboned one leg and baked it with some brown sugar glaze and it was so pretty & tasty. We arrived left our stuff in the garage an went outside to chat. Bad move...
    My neighbors Basset hound snatched the whole roaster pan off the table and feasted :eek: on it. What she didn;t eat was drooled on an smeared everywhere dead: .
    But then she looks at ya with that long sad basset hound face and ya just can't be mad at her :p:p:p. They also have a mastif that helped us clean up.

xcaliber likes this.
  3. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

So we just finished the Venison- sausage meat balls last weekend and my sons New girlfriend ask us if she should assume any burger served at our house is venison :p.
    Like that's a bad thing :D.

xcaliber likes this.
  4. Jack Pine

Jack Pine Active Member

I had a bunch of ground venny left over last year, so started to learn how to make sausage. Bought a meat mixer, sausage stuffer, and some casings and made homemade bologna, salami, pepperoni, and Italian sausage. I even came up with a recipe I call "stew in a tube", that has meat, potatoes, carrots, peas and onions in it, and it was great. All my venny is lean as possible, so it tends to be on the dry side, but I began to mix it with turkey meat or beef hamburger. Smoked the summer-type sausages in a smoker to dry them up, and I still have 3 long sticks of pepperoni left for our homemade pizzas.
    I also made a lot of jerky, and prefer ground jerky to the sliced whole jerky. Here's a recipe I developed over 30 years ago. Try it, you'll find you don't waste time, $, effort with marinades. Adjust it to suit your taste.

Cal’s oven jerky
    2 pounds ground turkey, chicken, venison, or very lean beef.
    [Not beef hamburger; grease will run out and gum up your dehydrator, or make a mess in your oven]

2 Tablespoons Morton Tender Quick meat cure + 2 Tablespoons white or brown sugar
    OR
    2 Tablespoons table, Kosher, or pickling salt + 2 Tablespoons white or brown sugar
    ADD
    ½ Tablespoon garlic powder + ½ Tablespoon onion powder + 1 teaspoon black pepper
    6 Tablespoons soy sauce + 1 Tablespoon liquid smoke [unless you are going to dry your jerky by smoking]
    OPTIONAL
    ½ teaspoon crushed or ground red cayenne pepper
    THEN
    Mix/knead all ingredients thoroughly with hands, lay down strips from a jerky gun onto dehydrator trays. --OR-- Pat out ¼ inch thick on waxed paper, and place in a dehydrator or in an oven just barely on, [no more than 180 degrees], and dehydrate in the oven with the door slightly ajar. When the jerky is dehydrated enough to handle, but not done, peel off the waxed paper, and cut the jerky into strips with kitchen shears. Finish dehydrating until it’s as dry as you like it.

xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  5. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Thanks Cal, that's a killer recipe. When then kids were hunting with me I used to make up a bunch of jerky every year and take a gallon bag full, we'd have four or five teens with us and they loved jerky!

xcaliber likes this.