Went scouting today. Come on along!

Discussion in 'Crossbow Hunting - Deer' started by jacol84, Feb 24, 2017.

1. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

rub.jpg Before I went to the mountain today, I had a very nice conversation with bbahunter this morning. Brian is a great guy in print, even better to talk with.:D

Haven't been feeling the best this week, but today was so nice, I decided, since I had no job that I wanted, I would go to the mountain and do some scouting. The last two years, I've been seeing a lot of deer between a wide dirt road that goes about 200 yards up into the woods, and the old logging road where my tree stand was. I decided to go up the wide road and cut across to the logging road and see what things looked like. They are still using that area. I think this may be a rub from the buck I shot in October.

glassman_48, bbahunter and Jack Pine like this.
  2. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

old logging road.jpg I decided to take a side logging road that split off from the main road about 100 yards above my tree stand. This one cuts into the clearcut the state made on the SGL in 2010. Lots of blackberry makes for slow going.;)

glassman_48, bbahunter and Jack Pine like this.
  3. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

clearcut.jpg This is what it looks like IN the clearcut. Again, blackberry out the wazoo! The perfect spot for that 400+ fps crossbow!;)

I wanted to go in the clearcut to look for those isolated areas of big rubs that geekster talks about on C/T. Crawling over hard sandstone/quartzite and through blackberry is more than I wanted today, so I stayed out for the most part.

glassman_48 likes this.
  4. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

sbove the clearcut.jpg This is where the old logging road exits the clearcut on the upper side. Looks like a nice place to hang out and wait for movement, IF I can figure out how to get here early enough and quietly enough.;)

glassman_48 likes this.
  5. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

another trail.jpg Just a slight turn from the last pic, and here's a trail coming from the eastern upper corner of the clearcut. Another hunter has a tripod stand set up to cover that corner, but I suspect that is mostly a gun season hunter.

glassman_48 likes this.
  6. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

one more bench upward.jpg Let's keep climbing!:D Up to the next bench. I know for sure this road did not exist the few years I went up the mountain to try and move deer for the boys, so the state must have done this when the made the clearcut.

glassman_48 likes this.
  7. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

view from the bench.jpg Climbing up the road in the last pic, we come to this relatively open, grassy, wide bench. This bench has some nice trails going along the sidehill near the bottom of the bench where the deer can travel and see if anything like humans, coyotes, or other deer are below them. I think I might spend some time here in the rut, or if I need to hunt gun season next year.

glassman_48 likes this.
  8. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

as far as I went today.jpg The road is still going up from the bench in the last pic. Now the actual top of the ridge is visible. Another 100-150 yards up this road will bring us to the sharp break from realtively gentle slope of the lower mountain, to the very steep side of the last slope to the top. In hunting both Juniata County, and this mountain about 15 miles further west, that break point has always been a good place to be when the guns start booming.:) (Deer seemed to run to the 2nd or 3rd bench down from the top to get away from guys hunting the bottom or the top of the mountain,) This is as far as I went today. If I get a nice day with no work and cooler temps, I will see how much farther the road goes up.;) Not sure what to make of all this just yet, and I'd sure rather drag a deer out from my stand that was only 250 yards above where I park, but this place can "go dead" at times in the season, and these spots may help with seeing more deer. I just have to get up earlier so I can get above them for their morning climb up the hill.

Exercise, fresh air, and some pics. Better than staying at home or sitting in a classroom today.:D

glassman_48 and xcaliber like this.
  9. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Great looking spots an good exercise i,m sure! made this old boy with his winter fat on board tired just looking an thinking about all that walking .

glassman_48, bbahunter and xcaliber like this.
  10. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Yep.

glassman_48 likes this.
  11. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Jeff, i enjoyed our conversation also. ;)
    And i also went out and did some post season scouting and checked some cams. I had the day off from work today, and iam glad i did, beautiful day.
    Alot of snow is gone, and hopefully no more for the rest of year.:eek:
    Nice looking spots Jeff.

glassman_48 and jacol84 like this.
  12. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Great looking area for sure. Those black berry's are nasty but black bears love em an they don't bother deer, they'll bed in them as safe as they can be :D.
    You might be on to something hunting the higher ground in the rut, bucks like to catch the air currents rising up the hills morning's as the sun comes up an warms the valley's.

13. Chevy

Chevy New Member

Great updates. Thanks for sharing

14. med1pilot

med1pilot Member

Must be something in the air. I went out two days running to check some areas of the farm that I don't usually scout. (The spot I gun hunt from has never let me down, so scouting never was necessary) I went out and put in a mineral site near an area that appears to be a popular bedding area a few days ago, and will wait a week or so and go check the camera to see if the deer have noticed it. This will be the first bow season I've hunted in 15-16 years, and my first time with a crossbow ever. I'm getting antsy already, and it's still months away!

jacol84 and TX_RDXguy like this.
  15. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Got a little snow yesterday, with more predicted on Tuesday. I will try to get to all my spots later next week to see what's going on.:)

Oppie likes this.
  16. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Our local weather wizard is saying we may get more snow on Tuesday than any storm in the last five years :(

17. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

We're looking at about 4" which is a lot for us lately. :eek:

Oppie likes this.
  18. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

dead fall stand.jpg This is one of my stands viewed from the uphill side. I sit right on the depression the old logging road makes, in the branches of the deadfall. I have always sat this stand in the morning. The tracks along this trail show the deer going downhill. Something to file in the memory bank.

bbahunter likes this.
  19. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

last bench.jpg Just before I took the pic above, I saw 4 deer running up the mountain in high gear. They were at least 150 yards away. I'm sure I stood out against the snow in my relatively dark clothes, but they seemed awfully spooky for deer that haven't been hunted for a few months. This is the last bench before the mountain gets really steep and rocky (too much for this old buzzard to climb anymore.) I took this pic, took a few steps, and heard a soft snort. Looked over to see a very large deer bounding away. That one let me get inside 40 yards. When I went to start walking up the hill again, the deer went into "ballistic snorting" LOL.;) Didn't see the head, but it was a big deer. Thought about how I could hunt way up here. Any realistic scenario would have to include losing at least 20# and really doing some tough rides on my bike between now and October. Not sure I'm a good enough hunter to make a setup on this bench to kill a nice buck, but I'd bet they are there. Dragging a deer back to the car from here, even downhill, might be more than I really want to try for at this point. The challenge is intriguing until I remember how I felt a the end of the day last year, killing one within 250 yards of the vehicle, getting it out, skinning/boning and getting the meat to the butcher. Not sure what I will do, but if things dry up down below, I might just have to try up here.;)

bbahunter likes this.
  20. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

survivor..jpg Here is a survivor of a bygone era. Eastern Hemlock, the PA state tree. There are a number of small ones down below, but darn few this size anywhere on this mountain. I saw 3 others not too far from this one, but they were not close to the size of this big old tree.

Oppie likes this.