Went scouting today. Come on along!

Discussion in 'Crossbow Hunting - Deer' started by jacol84, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

We have some small one around here but none of the really big ones like we used to have. Now with the leaves off I'm seeing a lot of dead ash trees just riding the roads. I have several dead ash the winds have brought down lately to cut for campfire's.

2. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Emerald Ash Borers. That's an argument the two brothers who's family owns this place are having. The one runs a sawmill/wood business, and wants to get the Ash out while it's still worth something. The other one is worried about invasive species moving in if it's logged off too fast.

Oppie likes this.
  3. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

• That seems to be the general consensus around here, get while it's still worth something because it's coming down anyway.
    • I've seen some huge dead trees right along the road that'll be a problem in a storm sometime.

4. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Good looking spot! we have some big hemlock in the river hills an nothing timbered out of there since I was a kid an they were big then.

5. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Jeff, did you ever try sitting this spot in the afternoon? I would try it.;)

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  6. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Thought crossed my mind today, Brian. Just might add it to my meager bag of tricks.;)

Oppie and xcaliber like this.
  7. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Now is the perfect scouting time with all the tracks and trails are easier to find, who knows you might even stumble on to a shed or two and that would bump up your interest level a couple notches :D. I'm going out after this white crap leaves.

8. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

That upper bench really feels like a good place, and bumping a big deer up there got the juices flowing. That said, to hunt that right, I'd have to get up there pre-dawn to work best.:eek: Twenty years ago, I would just go for it. Now I gotta think on it. One more thing, every time I've gone up since the season closed, I've seen a lot of sign around where my tree stand was. I'm thinking I just have to bite the bullet and buy all the safety stuff to be able to hunt that stand. Probably more important to getting a deer than what crossbow I'm taking.;)

9. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

20 yrs ago I always had to be on top of the hill, now I'm happy setting at the stream at the bottom of those hills :cool:.
    The thing with deer tracks in the snow is a few deer make a lot of tracks, trail cams are our friends :) but not in this weather, you can't afford the batteries :D.
    Check the area on google earth and get the big picture :) .

jacol84 likes this.
  10. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Must be tuff hunting the mountains with big forest :confused: pretty simple here as I do a walk about to pick my spot then put up a stand an stay away from the area I plan to hunt using the best access in an out without disturbing the deer. for me I hunt the edge of THICKETS where there's some kind of cover to access getting in or out of the thicket .

jacol84 likes this.
  11. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

One problem I have is no corn field's :(, corn field's are down the valley a bit. Wild apple trees are either loaded or bare depending on the spring frost, no oaks with acorns, hunting is tough out here in the hills :D.

12. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I would be lost hunting that kind of area in more ways than one :confused:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Oppie likes this.
  13. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

There are deer tails out here that are old enough even Ray Charles could find em :p, I'm sorry that was so wrong......

Don't forget to look for Ticks :confused:, took one off my dog last week, in the middle of the blizzard when that the last thing you'd expect :(.

14. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I can say the deer herd is looking good after the blizzard. The first few days we saw a couple of deer pushing snow up to their shoulders and struggling but now they are finding bare spots to feed on and the snow has settled down to less than a foot. We saw a dozen out feeding on one small bare patch yesterday and tracks across our field so they made out pretty good considering. Dodged a gobbler crossing the road this morning going to Leraysville, rest of the flock was lined up to cross next.

jacol84 likes this.