What a morning!

Discussion in 'Crossbow Hunting - Deer' started by xcaliber, Dec 17, 2017.

1. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Well, we hunted a place I have not been to in over 5 years. The apprentice wants to go there to use his Muzzle Loader instead of the hunt club that is bow only. I agree, and we drove out there at 4:10 am. While I'm loading my climbing stand, and other gear I see a huge buck across the road, and he is not at all intimidated by me. When the he sees the headlights come around the bend, he bounds off. I'm excited for the day at this point. We drive out, nobody in our chosen area, so things are looking pretty good. We walk about .7 miles, and find ourselves between two flooded creek bottoms on a narrow ridge, we split up. I get about 60 yards out on this thin ice, and start hearing ice cracking, I have no idea how deep the water is, so I slowly back out. I go back out on the ridge and find a great spot. I unpack my climber only to find the seat was left in my garage. I text the kid, he's up & cozy already eating one of the sandwiches I packed for him. LOL. I put my foot platform on the tree, and get comfy. I too eat a sandwich, sip on some water realizing I still have 40 minutes until legal shooting time. I see some deer moving close to shooting light, but not in range yet. I then see 4, yes 4 orange hats bouncing down the ridge coming in behind where I came in, the deer boogie out. I start packing my stuff. Text the kid, he too is seeing some hunters on foot on the other end of this ridge. We both say, let's get out of here. I walk past the 4 late comers, and one guy says, you can't be giving up this early. I say, you can't come in mid morning not knowing if someone else might be set up where you're going. I told them they bumped out like 9 deer, LOL and wished them a good day. Kyle says, let's call it a day, he was tired, and I said, I'll pop for breakfast. We changed into our street clothes and went out for a Sunday brunch that was out of this world. Got home, and the youngest daughter took Mom out shopping, I had a great nap. Deer 1, me zero!:eek::cool:
    Still had fun though. ;)

bbahunter, jacol84 and Oppie like this.
  2. Vital Limits

Vital Limits Member

That sounds like my kinda day hunting...lol!

xcaliber likes this.
  3. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

A good day in the woods fo sure :). Still have just over a week to wait here, all our nice snow will be gone by then.

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  4. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Glad you had a good time! that,s some of the reasons I hunt the river by boat . other hunters are not what I want to see when I,m hunting .

xcaliber likes this.
  5. robertyb

robertyb Member

Sorry you got your hunt messed up by lazy hunters but that is the nature of hunting public land. I pretty much have given up on public land hunts after having a guy walk up 50 yards in front of me, wave at me and then park his butt on a stump with his back to me. I was in a tree stand 30 feet up overlooking the same bottom he was. :) Some folks just do not have a clue..

xcaliber likes this.
  6. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

I hear you guys. I don't know if these guys are afraid of the dark, or what. I hunted this area years ago when it was on the bordering edge of the camping area which is now closed. Nobody hunted there because they assumed all the deer were pushed out by the campers, but that was not the case. LOL. Whenever we killed a deer, we would tell everyone we got it in the area just east of us, and they would flock to that area pushing all the deer west to us! :cool::p:eek:

jacol84 likes this.
  7. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Don,t pay to give out truthful deer hunting,fishing information :rolleyes: I,m the president of liars anonymous when it comes to giving out my honeyholes ,when people ask where you hunting or fishing at :rolleyes::p

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  8. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

The good hunters have yet to figure out my hunting methods and favorite spots. One of the best funnels around is right behind my house an they don't have a clue how to hunt it :D.
    Nobody took any deer off mine or the neighbor's adjoining property's this year so that's a plus for next fall.

xcaliber and jacol84 like this.
  9. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Keep them guessing Bruce.;)

Oppie likes this.