What I get out of it!

Discussion in 'Crossbow Hunting - Deer' started by xcaliber, Oct 7, 2017.

1. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Kyle, the apprentice & I have been hunting together for a spell. This is season 8 together. He's just a neighbor's kid, but I have known him since he was 2 years old. He started hunting with me when he turned 13, and had the bug from early on. He would hang out in my garage whenever I was tinkering with hunting gear, or hanging up a deer. He got his first bow for Christmas at 13, turned 14 in the Spring, and killed his first buck that fall, Halloween day in fact. 7 pointer, 139 pounds dressed, but he had it mounted! Since then we have killed a few deer, and shared a lot of stories. He has learned to do his own arrows, change strings & cables, and setup a bow from scratch. He guts his own deer now for 4 years, and started butchering his own 3 years ago. He makes jerky, and went to Missouri last fall with a friend of mine that has two boys close to his age. Kyle killed the second biggest buck in the group the second day out. Never seen this place! He has killed about 14 deer in 7 years that I know of, all legally. He has 3 trophy size mounts in his man cave, Mom's Garage. :cool: He set up two rifles the last two years with me just watching him. He looked for an approving nod hear & there, but mostly did it on his own. He has friends his age that hunt, but calls me all the time to go out with me. I make lunches for us both, he knows I will!:rolleyes: But he shows prepared, and ready. I no longer watch him climb in his climber, or follow him into the woods. Heck, I don't even know where his most times these days. We text back & forth to check in & talk smack, give updates, etc. What did I get out of all this. Memories that will last the rest of my life, and the peace of knowing that he will teach his kids someday! ;):)

Oppie, bbahunter and jacol84 like this.
  2. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

love it button.jpg

xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  3. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

A great thing your doing ! kids need to learn how things work in the real world an not live in la la land. I bet your the big kahona in that boys eyes as you are in mine for what your doing!

8ptbuk, xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  4. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  5. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

"Love It" :). That's what it's all about, the sharing the knowledge and friendship. I love hunting with kids an newbies because all the smiles and excitement is contagious....

xcaliber likes this.
  6. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

You guys live the dream too! We went out today, but the weather was warmer than predicted, and the deer were not moving. They were moving when we were driving out there though, i nearly hit a doe about 1/2 mile from home!:eek: Still had a great time in the woods though.:)

jacol84, bbahunter and Oppie like this.
  7. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

That was a good day friend.
    We went looking for "pine cones" cause no sunday hunting, found some Ticks instead. Basicly scouting.

Sometimes when I take my wife archery hunting she ask me questions that remind me shes basicly a newbie :) but has yrs of hunting confidence. That's help keep me interested this year.

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  8. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

I purchased some clothing from Game Hide called Elimitick. I don't get bothered by skeeters either when wearing this stuff. I tried it last fall, and have since purchased 3 days worth of garments, I will NOT go into the woods without it. Not until a good hard frost anyway.;)

Oppie and jacol84 like this.
  9. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Never tried Elimitick, but it sounds great. Since I started sprying my hunting clothing with Permethrin, I have not had a tick on me, and the skeeters aren't bad either.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  10. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

That's what the garments are treated with, and they claim it lasts the life of the garment regardless of how often you wash them, so far, so good.

11. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Member

Hats off too you Dan ! You've gave something to Him that He'll never forget !

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  12. robertyb

robertyb Member

From my research Dan nothing lasts forever including Permethrin. The US Army uses one of the highest concentrations on clothing I know of and they redo theirs after 6 or so washings. I have a shirt that says good for the life of the garment also but I spray it every now and then. I figure it is better to be safe than sorry when it comes to Lyme disease. :)

13. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

You got that right! better safe than sorry :eek: I,m living proof you don,t want Lyme disease :confused:

xcaliber likes this.
  14. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I sprayed Judy with Deep woods Off, I didn't use anything, she found a tick after we got home on the back of her neck, I had none. Usually ticks are attracted to me & have been bitten several times, I've had two Lymes test so far both negative.

xcaliber likes this.
  15. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

I have used elimitick since it came out, great stuff. Also been using Permethrin (coulstons) since 1998 .
    Back then i was hunting one of my favorite spots and must have had 50 of the little buggars on my clothes, then i though about some stuff we were using in the Army, did some research and found the coulstons.
    I have used coulstons, which may have been bought out by sawyer, repel made some also, iam sure there are others too, and can mix your own. Ticks are not a joke, they are a threat and a P.I.T.A.

xcaliber likes this.
  16. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

I agree, but I'm still going to test their claim! I can get the permetherin locally, so if I have to re-treat the clothes, no biggie.

17. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

Dan, i believe the elimitick is treated with chrysanthemums, ( the flower )at least that is what they originally did.
    Ticks hate chrysanthemums.

jacol84 likes this.
  18. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

19. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

20. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Whatever they use WORKS! I'll keep using it until it's wore out, or don't work anymore. I hope God has the sam plans I do!;)

bbahunter, jacol84 and Oppie like this.