Winter project coming along

Discussion in 'General Crossbow Discussion' started by jacol84, Jan 28, 2019.

1. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

While the guys on the "big" crossbow boards are in a lather over the new crossbows, I'm working on the Burky RDT frankenbow. Had some tuning issues to work out, and I think that's done now. The stock is a 3/4" walnut core, with nice grain walnut pieces glued to it. It's unfinished now, so you can't really see how nice the grain is. I will straighten out some dips and humps, then glass bed and finish sand it. Mat to satin finish, likely urethane, and a bit of checkering. It will be unique and I'm not worried about it getting dinged up a bit. LOP of the stock is 14", but overall length is only 30 1/4". Axle to axle is 13 13/16 uncocked, 9 3/16" cocked. Weighs a little under 8# when I had the TP Rangemaster on it. So balanced, I wouldn't want it any lighter. The target pic is 40 yds with a Ramcat. My hands get cold really fast, and they were stinging most of the time I was at the range, so I'm not going to shoot again for a while, but happy where things are at.:D IMG_0611.jpg
    Little Franky stock (1).jpg

2. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

That,s a sweet compact rig !nice job, a killing machine with a ramcat forsure.

Stalker and jacol84 like this.
  3. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Pretty sweet crossbow right there, I love that stock, shes one of a kind for sure.

Stalker and jacol84 like this.
  4. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

stock finish 1.jpg

Did a little sanding and put a quick coat of urethane on it to show some grain. This might be my last wood/finish stock. Forgot how much I HATE sanding, LOL.

bbahunter and Oppie like this.
  5. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

That is nice!

jacol84 likes this.
  6. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Same here! But the end result will be well worth the effort :).

jacol84 likes this.
  7. robertyb

robertyb Member

X-2 Worth all the effort put in.

jacol84 likes this.
  8. bbahunter

bbahunter Active Member

That is a handsome stock Jeff. ;)

jacol84 likes this.
  9. Stalker

Stalker Member

Looks great Jeff! Might want to work on that target for your next project;):D

10. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Brian, the wood is really nice. It’s from the same piece as your 1911 grips. Only have a few pieces left.

Paul, I often shoot broadheads into a bag target, then just recover it. At 20 degrees, I sure wasn’t shooting into a foam target on Monday. ;) It’s been below 0 the last 2 mornings here.

I hope I can make the stock look close to as good as the wood can look, but the best part of it is going to be the fit. The bow comes up, shoulders, and aims really well.:D

bbahunter likes this.
  11. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I haven,t shot any arrow in foam for along time .small pieces of cut up rags that were cut up to make rugs work the best for me for broadheads. open top 18-24 inch high cardboard box stuffed by hand with a piece of quarry belt behind the rags. amazing how these rags pieces stop broadheads . I just reach in an screw the head off an easy out.

12. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Looks pretty good!

jacol84 likes this.
  13. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Stock pic 2:7:19 (1).jpg

Here is the pic from this morning. I guess the file was too big the first time. At least this board lets you edit for more than 5 minutes.:)

This is my first try at a sanded in polyurethane finish. I have done this TruOil with many stocks, and it gets the finish in the wood rather than on the wood. I didn't have any oil, so I tried it with the urethane and it worked just as well, with less smell.;) I have a lot of cleanup of the "sludge" in the inside cutouts, but that won't be hard to do. I love this wood, and it was given to me by the long retired shop teacher at school, since his kids couldn't use it for the typical projects that included planing and such. Almost all gone now. Gotta get the left side done and then Acraglass Gel to make the bedding real solid.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    xcaliber and bbahunter like this.
  14. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Looks good,the only way I can do a picture is once It goes in my photos,I then have to click on it an take a picture of the pictureo_O but works for me

jacol84 likes this.
  15. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

stock left side.jpg

Left side accent wood is darker, and the core piece is lighter on this side. Still decided I don't want to stain the core piece. Going to hunt with it and not worry about babying it.

xcaliber and bbahunter like this.
  16. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

That is just beautiful.

jacol84 likes this.
  17. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

18. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk Active Member

Gorgeous!

jacol84 likes this.
  19. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

20. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

That is awesome :). I wish I had that kind of skill.

jacol84 and bbahunter like this.