Winter weather blues

Discussion in 'General Chatter & Off Topic' started by Masboy, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Bad time of year for me an don,t care for winter anymore. seems the wind never stops here an just plain miserable outside . I just sit around thinking of what I can do or make. I got my 20lb propane tank filled an bought a adapter to fill the little grill tanks .worked great an no more running out with my little torch,grill.

Been making front handgun sights for my 460 that the front is spring loaded an you pull back an pop out. stock rear sight is bottomed out an where I want it with my one main load but most others loads shoot high. being I can,t bring the other loads down with the stock sights, I choose to make different height front sights for each load then I never have to change the rear. I can leave it bottomed out as all my loads so far shoot pretty much inline with just a height difference.

Pretty time consuming making them with mostly my hand tools hack saw ,files , little emery boards ,Dremel. hard to get them to fit level,centered in the little spring loaded groove . I have about a 50 percent success rate an only ruining half:confused::p did get to a local small gun shop to look around some an got 1000 cci mag primers .now back to baby sitting the monster inlaw as the wife went to work :mad:

Stalker, jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  2. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Making stuff gives you something to do at least. My oldest finally got his own AWD Subie so he doesn't have to borrow my Mountaineer every time it was going to snow. 'Course the season is over now. Did some reserving and I might get some 2219s to make up. Got a used 2x7 Leupold coming. Might take one more shot at getting BABU to shoot right.:rolleyes: Waiting for the powdercoater to give me a call so I can get the Grey Ghost together. Always some type of non-productive stuff I can waste time with.

Stalker and xcaliber like this.
  3. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I know all about the kids borrowing ,they seem to take turns borrowing my old blue truck,trailer. now they all have pickups as my daughter just bought one. I guess keeping busy keeps us out of trouble . I,m thinking mabye getting some older used scopes is the way the go an get away from lots of this new cheap junk they sell.

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  4. MI_Bowhunter

MI_Bowhunter Member

I hear you. I used to love winter but the bitter cold this year just makes me want to hibernate for a few months.

I have not done any shooting or anything since the deer season ended.

I did start a new job after the first of the year that has kept me more than busy. It's also the reason I have not been online much the last few weeks.

5. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

Good Luck with the new job, not easy these days. I'm looking to duck out in about 4 years, and training the geniuses to replace me. We have some very sharp youngsters so it should be a slam dunk. I'm hoping they need me as a consultant part time when i go, but then again hoping not. I'm working on a few projects in the house that we no longer need, and preparing to sell it in the next few years, so staying busy! 4 bedrooms, 3 baths is way too big for two people!:eek:dead:

Stalker, MI_Bowhunter and jacol84 like this.
  6. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I've been good this winter, first time in many winters. My Dr. pushes vitamin D for me & exercise. He checked my vitamin D levels a couple yrs back an Bingo! Got a lecture on that.
    I try to go for a walk in the woods every day, now with fresh snow on I'll check for fresh fox tracks an check my mineral stump for activity.

Good luck with the new job :D it's not fun. Don't feel bad, I haven't shot anything sense early Dec. myself.

We all can't be like Frank an shoot something most everyday:D.

jacol84 and xcaliber like this.
  7. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

What ya doing with that? :D Asking for a friend ;) .

xcaliber likes this.
  8. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

Being a winter wussie now I,m getting my boat ready for winter . I ran both motors out of gas the last trip as I always do at the ramp but that don,t get gas out of the inlet fitting line on the motor to the carb.so I made a little plastic punch to push the fuel inlet valve in with the motors tilted up an drained both motors .

then I cut a notch in the tool an stuck it in the valve inlet to hold it open on the end of the fuel line that connects to the motor from the tank ,then I stuck my rubber tipped air hose nozzle in the valve inlet on the tank end an gave it some air an it emptied the line ( blowed gas everywhere as the end flew out of the jar :confused::p)got me another one of them gas showers:confused: an was very careful unhooking my battery charger I had hooked up an charging my battery:eek::p

Dad always said no sin being stupid but sure makes life tuff at times :confused::pnext line I put it in a plastic fuel container :D:p I would normally just treat the gas but the marina had this gas all summer in a above ground tank an was already old. I had sea foam in it but not taking any chances since I can,t walk on water. dumped all my boat gas in my old blue truck an made a 2 stroke out of it for awhile with a full tank :p

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    xcaliber and Stalker like this.
  9. robertyb

robertyb Member

A small engine repair guy told me years ago to treat my gas but also to always crank and run my motor at least once a month all year long and not worry about winterizing it. It works as long as you remember to crank and run it for a few minutes each month. I do live in a climate where I can hook a hose to it to run it year around.

xcaliber and Oppie like this.
  10. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

That,s what I use to do when the river froze over an worked great ,but I like to start out with fresh gas . I fished all winter when the river never froze over an never winterized my motors an just used them. I,m pretty anal about servicing my outboards an keeping them clean as I can,t afford new ones every few years. They get a diet of good quailty 2 stroke oil,non ethenal gas, Quailty marine oil for the four stroke, plenty oil changes,quailty gear lube changes ,radcor water separater,new water pump impellers every so often,fresh gas. no phone or tows needed for this 2 motor fisherman :p

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    Stalker likes this.
  11. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

I try to start an run my toys every month or so and use treated E-free gas as much as I can. My local station's all ran out of the E free last month when I wanted some for my generator, the 10% ethanol is ok as long as you use it up quick enough and I don't run the generator enough to burn it off quick enough then it gets goo in the tank, not good.

Stalker likes this.
  12. xcaliber

xcaliber Active Member

That's a good practice Bruce.

13. Stalker

Stalker Member

I've been using Sta-bil ethanol treatment in mine.Went about a year with out running it :eek:. Didn't seem like it had been that long but it had! Fired right up and ran perfect though KNOCK ON WOOD!!! Hope it does that this spring! 0821171107a.jpg 0821171444e.jpg 0821171421.jpg

14. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I like that fish tremble sticker :p:p:p

Oppie and Stalker like this.
  15. jacol84

jacol84 Active Member

Bruce, the plan right now is to put the 2x7 on the Patriot 380, and put the 1x4 back on the 355SS. Both scopes are the VX 1 shotgun scopes with heavy duplex. Probably means no new crossbow this year, but with 3 good ones, I don't really need another.;)

Oppie and Stalker like this.
  16. Stalker

Stalker Member

Thought you would. A buddy of mine got that for me in Florida. I dont fish near as much as I used too. Too much time spent on this crossbow obsession!

Where I used to live I had a carport to keep the boat under. It was always loaded with tackle and rods and ready to go. All I had to do was hook up and go. Now its a PITA I have uncover,load all the tackle etc.Then when I get back unload and cover it all back up.I spend more time getting ready and putting away than I do fishing! Most the time now I just grab a rod and some tackle and run over to local pond for an hour or 2. I miss the big lake though. Its a great fishery.

17. Masboy

Masboy Active Member

I know all about that an a real pain loading an unloading an getting out there an need what you forgot. I keep mine in my garage loaded with everything I may need for Sasquatch or anything else if I have to spend the night. just hook to it an go fish .I,m never lacking fire power :D

Stalker and jacol84 like this.
  18. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

Good choice. I had a 2x7 leuy on one of mine xbows, then I put it on Judy's 30-30 an it fits like a glove, I'll never get that one back. I've been think about swapping out the crossbones for a 2x7 with duplex.

jacol84 likes this.
  19. Oppie

Oppie Active Member

X2.

20. Stalker

Stalker Member

I spent many a night on the water in my younger days before I had a cell phone.

The wife was never happy when I got back in the morning:mad:Worried I fell in or something!:eek: At least I always had fish to show I was fishing and not up to no good!:D

Oppie and jacol84 like this.